Re: [new_distillers] Re: which refractometer to buy?

  • Bart Engelbeen
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
      With a refractometer you measure the fructose, glucose, dextrose and other 'ose's by difraction of the light. So you measure the real sugar content that will (hopefully) become alcohol.
      If you measure SG you also take into account solids (in a mash) that aren't sugars but are counted for.
      I guess it would not be very much apart anyway.

      Bart

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
        this is from Matt's message 5743 from this list:
        ----------
        also, there's a new wave of affordable refractometers coming from
        China
        now, even with ATC (auto temp. compensation). I have one of these
        myself and
        while the instructions would make a native English-speaking editor
        cringe,
        the construction of the unit is quite nice. :-) Northern Brewer is
        currently selling them for $US 60.

        http://www.northernbrewer.com/analytical.html
        This amounts to about a 50 dollar savings from the price that I paid
        for mine.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bart Engelbeen"

        Service.