Re: which refractometer to buy?

  • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
      the short answer is that you dont need one if you have enough liquid
      to put into a test vial and float a hydrometer. They are considered a
      nice to have tool. If you are just dumping sugar into a bucket of
      water you have a pretty good idea what the SG is going to be.

      however if you are testing an unknown quantity say the grapes that
      are still on the vine, or the apples still on the tree, things along
      that line, a refractometer is a very useful tool. Knowing before
      hand what the brix reading is helps determine the sugar content of
      the fruit that info helps determine how much (if any) additional
      sugar needs to be added to the wash to make up the difference. One
      drop of liquid and a source of light is all that is necessary. 10
      seconds.

      You can also use the tool to guage the quality of your garden
      vegetables or the produce at the farmers market or the supermarket
      from the brix reading of their juices.

      http://www.crossroads.ws/brixbook/BBook.htm this online book page
      describes that process.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dene Oehme <waterline@o...>"
      <waterline@o...> wrote:

      > Here's a dumb question but anyway........... Why would I want to
      use
      > a refractometer to measure the sugar content of a solution? Am I
      > correct in assuming that what one does? I mean...... I can work
      out
      > the sugar content from the SG can't I?
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Dene
    • Bart Engelbeen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
        With a refractometer you measure the fructose, glucose, dextrose and other 'ose's by difraction of the light. So you measure the real sugar content that will (hopefully) become alcohol.
        If you measure SG you also take into account solids (in a mash) that aren't sugars but are counted for.
        I guess it would not be very much apart anyway.

        Bart

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
          this is from Matt's message 5743 from this list:
          ----------
          also, there's a new wave of affordable refractometers coming from
          China
          now, even with ATC (auto temp. compensation). I have one of these
          myself and
          while the instructions would make a native English-speaking editor
          cringe,
          the construction of the unit is quite nice. :-) Northern Brewer is
          currently selling them for $US 60.

          http://www.northernbrewer.com/analytical.html
          This amounts to about a 50 dollar savings from the price that I paid
          for mine.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bart Engelbeen"

          Service.