Re: which refractometer to buy?

  • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
      I bought mine at this webpage. And I like mine.
      http://brewsupplies.com/index.htm at the bottom of the page is a
      section for specials and closeouts. I have heard others mention
      better prices but they arent speaking up.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "docbdj <docbdj@a...>"

    • Dene Oehme <waterline@ozemail.com.au>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
        Here's a dumb question but anyway........... Why would I want to use
        a refractometer to measure the sugar content of a solution? Am I
        correct in assuming that what one does? I mean...... I can work out
        the sugar content from the SG can't I?

        Regards

        Dene
      • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2003
          the short answer is that you dont need one if you have enough liquid
          to put into a test vial and float a hydrometer. They are considered a
          nice to have tool. If you are just dumping sugar into a bucket of
          water you have a pretty good idea what the SG is going to be.

          however if you are testing an unknown quantity say the grapes that
          are still on the vine, or the apples still on the tree, things along
          that line, a refractometer is a very useful tool. Knowing before
          hand what the brix reading is helps determine the sugar content of
          the fruit that info helps determine how much (if any) additional
          sugar needs to be added to the wash to make up the difference. One
          drop of liquid and a source of light is all that is necessary. 10
          seconds.

          You can also use the tool to guage the quality of your garden
          vegetables or the produce at the farmers market or the supermarket
          from the brix reading of their juices.

          http://www.crossroads.ws/brixbook/BBook.htm this online book page
          describes that process.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dene Oehme <waterline@o...>"
          <waterline@o...> wrote:

          > Here's a dumb question but anyway........... Why would I want to
          use
          > a refractometer to measure the sugar content of a solution? Am I
          > correct in assuming that what one does? I mean...... I can work
          out
          > the sugar content from the SG can't I?
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Dene
        • Bart Engelbeen
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
            With a refractometer you measure the fructose, glucose, dextrose and other 'ose's by difraction of the light. So you measure the real sugar content that will (hopefully) become alcohol.
            If you measure SG you also take into account solids (in a mash) that aren't sugars but are counted for.
            I guess it would not be very much apart anyway.

            Bart

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
              this is from Matt's message 5743 from this list:
              ----------
              also, there's a new wave of affordable refractometers coming from
              China
              now, even with ATC (auto temp. compensation). I have one of these
              myself and
              while the instructions would make a native English-speaking editor
              cringe,
              the construction of the unit is quite nice. :-) Northern Brewer is
              currently selling them for $US 60.

              http://www.northernbrewer.com/analytical.html
              This amounts to about a 50 dollar savings from the price that I paid
              for mine.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bart Engelbeen"

              Service.