Re: [new_distillers] alcohol pump

  • David Reid
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1 1:58 PM
      Hi JAN,
      We found the easiest way rather than using a pump which is ideal
      for circulating the alcohol through the carbon and which can greatly
      accelerate the aging and purification of the alcohol was to have a closed
      vessel with an outlet close to the bottom to which the final polishing
      carbon filter is connected and into which the already treated alcohol can be
      poured, decanted, or pumped, the vessel closed, slightly pressurised, and
      then slowly filtered. This produces a vastly superior product in a fraction
      of the time. Using a 2 or 3 stage process like this can lead to vastly
      shortened treatment times with each stage in the treatment process
      optimised. In the vessel mentioned above I have a tyre valve fitted into the
      stainless steel lid and by using a bicycle tyre pump together with a precise
      pressure guage I can quickly pressurise the setup to about 2 psi which seems
      to be about the ideal pressure and which allows me to final polish 1 litre
      of spirit in about 1/2 hour. The final product is as fine treated product as
      you will find being crystal clear and even when left for weeks has
      absolutely no settlement or sediment. When left to just decant by itself
      (everything running downhill and thus gravity controlled) it took 24 hours +
      previously to filter the same volume. In this setup as stated I found 2 psi
      to be the best pressure although you may find it varies a bit with your own
      setup. Exceeding this pressure quickly led to possibly channeling with the
      alcohol being forced through too fast and some very minor carbon settlement
      resulting. At the end of the day I found treatment and filtering rates were
      largely determined by the type and degree of fineness of the filter material
      used. Constant circulation led to shorter treatment times and ultra fine
      filtering led to a superior product. The main things are not to be too
      frugal with the carbon or to expect too long a life out of the filters. If
      using this method I suggest you do your own trials and tests especially of
      settlement and sediment. Even the clearest alcohol initially when left for
      some time will show very minor settlement. It is this aspect that with
      experience and patience you can gradually get perfect. Hope this is of help.
      B.r., David

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1 8:42 PM
        Hi to all. I need some help. The B.A.T.F. allows you to make 10,000 proof
        gallons a year of fuel ethanol with only a permit, no fees or taxes, but the
        state of Alabama charges a $100.00 fee and what looks like a lot of
        restrictions. If someone with an understanding of legalities could read this
        and translate it for me I would greatly appreciate it. It is listed under
        Alabama Code under the A.B.C.Alabama Beverage Control, law or code 20 X 11
        distilling ethanol for fuel use. Any help will be appriciated. I really what
        to make my own fuel and I don't drink. It looks like it's all about money
        instead of letting people do what's best for the country.
        Thanks,
        Ron Miller

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/