Re: [new_distillers] Re: Gelatin Clarifier

  • Mark Little
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2003
      Before adding any fining agents ( egg white, gelatine, isinglass, bentonite being some) it is usefull to give the fermented wash a REALLY GOOD stir, this will remove any dissolved CO2 from the wash. While this will raise the sediment most finings need some sediment present to begin the settling process with, dont worry if a bit of sediment is raised. If this REALLY GOOD stir isnt done the dissolved gas can tend to keep particles afloat and really add to the settling time. Most Kitset wines have this vigorous stirring  as part of their instructions to help a speedy clearing.
      Hope this is of  some help
      Mark Little

      My understanding of the action of gelatin as a finings was that it
      used whatever solid particles that are in suspension as starting
      points for solidification.  This makes any such particles too large
      to stay suspended, causing them to settle to the bottom.

      Most settling will occur anyway by about a week after it finishes
      bubbling.  However, they will always benefit by the extra settling.
      There will always be some solid particles that remain permanently
      suspended.  There will also always be some picked up by small
      convective currents occuring.

      Most of the particles in any brew are dead yeast cells.  Immersed
      elements will burn the yeast cells and transfer a nasty flavour into
      the distillate, much the same way with a grain mash.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco <waljaco@h...>"