Final Word on Baking Soda Distilling

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003

      Returning to the baking soda issue, I am not sure why I never saw the blue distillate; it tasted very much OK to me and it was significantly �smoother� then the previous runs. There was no harsh rasping in the mouth � only warmth after it went down. Whatever it was I really don�t know and care, but considering the outrage of more experienced people on this forum plus a few reports of blue distillate, plus me being a little (maybe more that just a little) paranoid, I would like to make sure that the addition of baking soda in the distillate after a stripping run is OK.

      The way I understood is that it is safe to add baking soda to the product after the first initial distillation and then re-distill it again with baking soda. It is works fine for me anyway because I double distill. The first run is a quick pot mode and the second run being in the reflux mode.

      So, if the above is in general agreement with the major theoretical think tank, how much of baking soda do I have to drop in the 60% pot distillate in order not to �overdo� it? The initial condition is like this:

      1. Running two 20L batches separately to get combined 8L of 60% distillate.
      2. Diluting 8L of 60% distillate with 12L of water to make 20L batch again.
      3. Running clean 20L of diluted 60% pot run in reflux mode with baking soda (or anything else to that matter).

      Thank you very much for helping me out and my sincere apologies to those who tried the experiment and ended up with a thorough clean up duty
      (why the hell it worked for me?!!)

      I can be wrong I must say.
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • BillyWeeble@cs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
        In a message dated 1/30/03 5:09:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        bokakob@... writes:

        << I am not sure why I never saw the blue distillate; it tasted very much OK
        to me and it was significantly “smoother” then the previous runs. >>

        Hi bkk, My first guess would be you use SS scrubbers instead of copper.
        The surface area of the copper scrubbers would certainly cause more
        oxidization and distillate pollution than only the surface contact of the
        column and outspout walls. And your results are exactly why I tried using
        baking soda to raise the ph so many months ago. It seemed to me that reducing
        such an acidic environment would temper both the "flavor" and the oxidation
        in the still itself. Well, out came the blue, so I posted my problem and it
        was explained by Tony A that I could rectify the problem by lowering the ph
        and running it again (among other info). That post may have been lost to
        memory overwhelmed by the other thoughts and imagination running so thick and
        fast with the brilliant minds of this group.

        << but considering the outrage of more experienced people on this forum >>

        I have not seen any outrage but I have seen concern. When one reads, they
        "hear" the person speaking, but imagination is almost always larger than the
        reality of the situation. I refuse to use "smiley faces" for fear they would
        dilute the meaning of what's being said. My wife uses them might be a better
        reason why I don't. :) see? it just ain't me.

        << my sincere apologies to those who tried the experiment and ended up with
        a thorough clean up duty
        (why the hell it worked for me?!!) >>

        No need to apologize for sharing information that occasionally may not
        work for others - if we learn from our mistakes we'll soon be geniuses (or
        even geniuser) but the best learning comes from our successes. My recent
        experiment was already in the tubes (literally) while you were doing yours.
        If I can keep anyone from experiencing what I do wrong...that's what this
        group is about - sharing both wins and losses. Hey, I've tried to do what
        others have failed at before and, well, let's not talk about that now...
        Bkk, I don't know why adding baking soda worked for you and not me (both
        first and second runs). The next test for me is to take a small sample of 94%
        and add baking soda to it in a GLASS! What the heck, I don't give up too
        easily. And if you do use SS scrubbers, you might have something there. The
        baking soda experiment might fly just dandy in a total SS system but it sure
        reacts negatively with copper. That's the key right there.
        Don't allow my observations to stifle any future outward expansion of
        your curiosity. Heck, they're only here to build on. Thanks for the great
        posts and ideas you share. Keep up the good work!
      • Aaron Pelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
          > work for others - if we learn from our mistakes we'll soon be
          > geniuses (or
          > even geniuser)

          Could a distilling gene cause a new genus of geniuser gin guzzling geniuses?

          Sorry, couldn't help myself :-)

          Aaron.
        • Harley Daschund
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003