Re: [Distillers] Re: Still Design

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2003

      A 3-inch column should work fine (some researchers indicated that �channeling� may develop) Make sure that you have really random packing. Regarding the condenser size, it should be sized up with a proper cooling area. It should be in proportion to the amount of heat that vapors bring in. The �faster� you run your still the more you should have of cooling area and coolant flow. In your particular case I would use quarter-inch copper tubing instead of three-eight inch because it is easier to work with, it is cheaper and you can make a double helix coil inside your condenser. Double helix coil should have significantly more cooling area (presumably close to double ;-) and it is easier to bring the ends to the top. The way I did it, is to find smaller cylinder for the inner coil and a large TUBE for the outer coil. I have drafted a series of sketches for you, attached to this email. Regarding the size of the cooling -- I may say that the more the merrier. Of course, it should be limited to a reasonable size. In my �guess�-timate sixteen inches of quarter-inch double helix cooling coil should be enough. If later on you will find that it is not suitable you can always change the top portion of the condenser (here comes the versatility of the modular design!)

       Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...> wrote:

      Hello fellow distiller: as previously written i am in the process of making a new unit and have decided on your EL unit cause of the simplicity and ease of cleaning-- one question comes to mind--  using 3" copper pipe-- the condenser should be approx 16" long with about 24' of 1/4 or  3/8 copper pipe coiled to fit the inside of the tube-- would this be sufficient--or should the condenser be longer lets say 18" with approx 30' of tube-- thanks for the info keep up the good work Blueflame456

      I can be wrong I must say.
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?