which refractometer to buy?

  • docbdj <docbdj@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2003
      i want to buy a refractometer, but am not sure which one to get, what
      to look for or were to get the best deal

      any sagely wisdom would be greatly appreciated

      thanks

      docbdj
    • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2 7:49 PM
        I bought mine at this webpage. And I like mine.
        http://brewsupplies.com/index.htm at the bottom of the page is a
        section for specials and closeouts. I have heard others mention
        better prices but they arent speaking up.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "docbdj <docbdj@a...>"

      • Dene Oehme <waterline@ozemail.com.au>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2 8:01 PM
          Here's a dumb question but anyway........... Why would I want to use
          a refractometer to measure the sugar content of a solution? Am I
          correct in assuming that what one does? I mean...... I can work out
          the sugar content from the SG can't I?

          Regards

          Dene
        • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2 8:41 PM
            the short answer is that you dont need one if you have enough liquid
            to put into a test vial and float a hydrometer. They are considered a
            nice to have tool. If you are just dumping sugar into a bucket of
            water you have a pretty good idea what the SG is going to be.

            however if you are testing an unknown quantity say the grapes that
            are still on the vine, or the apples still on the tree, things along
            that line, a refractometer is a very useful tool. Knowing before
            hand what the brix reading is helps determine the sugar content of
            the fruit that info helps determine how much (if any) additional
            sugar needs to be added to the wash to make up the difference. One
            drop of liquid and a source of light is all that is necessary. 10
            seconds.

            You can also use the tool to guage the quality of your garden
            vegetables or the produce at the farmers market or the supermarket
            from the brix reading of their juices.

            http://www.crossroads.ws/brixbook/BBook.htm this online book page
            describes that process.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dene Oehme <waterline@o...>"
            <waterline@o...> wrote:

            > Here's a dumb question but anyway........... Why would I want to
            use
            > a refractometer to measure the sugar content of a solution? Am I
            > correct in assuming that what one does? I mean...... I can work
            out
            > the sugar content from the SG can't I?
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Dene
          • Bart Engelbeen
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3 10:31 AM
              With a refractometer you measure the fructose, glucose, dextrose and other 'ose's by difraction of the light. So you measure the real sugar content that will (hopefully) become alcohol.
              If you measure SG you also take into account solids (in a mash) that aren't sugars but are counted for.
              I guess it would not be very much apart anyway.

              Bart

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3 12:50 PM
                this is from Matt's message 5743 from this list:
                ----------
                also, there's a new wave of affordable refractometers coming from
                China
                now, even with ATC (auto temp. compensation). I have one of these
                myself and
                while the instructions would make a native English-speaking editor
                cringe,
                the construction of the unit is quite nice. :-) Northern Brewer is
                currently selling them for $US 60.

                http://www.northernbrewer.com/analytical.html
                This amounts to about a 50 dollar savings from the price that I paid
                for mine.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bart Engelbeen"

                Service.