alcohol pump

  • janpam ooms
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi there distillers,
      i like to have a small pump to force the alcohol through a carbon filter as
      i find that the drip method id too slow in winter.I intend using a
      windscreenwasher pump and feed the alcohol in the bottom of the filter and
      draw off the top.i intend to achieve a fast drip with by-pass hoses.
      Any better suggestions are much appreciated.
      Regards JAN.
    • David Reid
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi JAN,
        We found the easiest way rather than using a pump which is ideal
        for circulating the alcohol through the carbon and which can greatly
        accelerate the aging and purification of the alcohol was to have a closed
        vessel with an outlet close to the bottom to which the final polishing
        carbon filter is connected and into which the already treated alcohol can be
        poured, decanted, or pumped, the vessel closed, slightly pressurised, and
        then slowly filtered. This produces a vastly superior product in a fraction
        of the time. Using a 2 or 3 stage process like this can lead to vastly
        shortened treatment times with each stage in the treatment process
        optimised. In the vessel mentioned above I have a tyre valve fitted into the
        stainless steel lid and by using a bicycle tyre pump together with a precise
        pressure guage I can quickly pressurise the setup to about 2 psi which seems
        to be about the ideal pressure and which allows me to final polish 1 litre
        of spirit in about 1/2 hour. The final product is as fine treated product as
        you will find being crystal clear and even when left for weeks has
        absolutely no settlement or sediment. When left to just decant by itself
        (everything running downhill and thus gravity controlled) it took 24 hours +
        previously to filter the same volume. In this setup as stated I found 2 psi
        to be the best pressure although you may find it varies a bit with your own
        setup. Exceeding this pressure quickly led to possibly channeling with the
        alcohol being forced through too fast and some very minor carbon settlement
        resulting. At the end of the day I found treatment and filtering rates were
        largely determined by the type and degree of fineness of the filter material
        used. Constant circulation led to shorter treatment times and ultra fine
        filtering led to a superior product. The main things are not to be too
        frugal with the carbon or to expect too long a life out of the filters. If
        using this method I suggest you do your own trials and tests especially of
        settlement and sediment. Even the clearest alcohol initially when left for
        some time will show very minor settlement. It is this aspect that with
        experience and patience you can gradually get perfect. Hope this is of help.
        B.r., David

        > i like to have a small pump to force the alcohol through a carbon filter
        as
        > i find that the drip method id too slow in winter.I intend using a
        > windscreenwasher pump and feed the alcohol in the bottom of the filter and
        > draw off the top.i intend to achieve a fast drip with by-pass hoses.
        > Any better suggestions are much appreciated.
        > Regards JAN.

      • ronald miller sr
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
          Hi to all. I need some help. The B.A.T.F. allows you to make 10,000 proof
          gallons a year of fuel ethanol with only a permit, no fees or taxes, but the
          state of Alabama charges a $100.00 fee and what looks like a lot of
          restrictions. If someone with an understanding of legalities could read this
          and translate it for me I would greatly appreciate it. It is listed under
          Alabama Code under the A.B.C.Alabama Beverage Control, law or code 20 X 11
          distilling ethanol for fuel use. Any help will be appriciated. I really what
          to make my own fuel and I don't drink. It looks like it's all about money
          instead of letting people do what's best for the country.
          Thanks,
          Ron Miller

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/