RE: [new_distillers] Still modifications

  • Bennett, Mark E
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2001
      I had a similar problem and I removed the lower tube by drilling it out with
      a 1/2" drill and using a broom handle knocked out what was left of the
      centre pipe. I then silver soldered two small patches of copper sheet over
      the holes. This has been very effective and with a bit of sanding and
      polishing you can hardly notice the modification. Another thought that I
      had early on was to sleeve the lower pipe with 7/16" plastic tubing and keep
      using it as I had a still maker design and this was part of my water path.
      My thoughts were that the plastic tubing would insulate the water from the
      copper and help stabilise the column. My reason for not testing this was
      that I was concerned that I could not remove the pot scrubbers from the
      column and I doubted that I could effective clean the column without
      removing the scrubbers. What I can tell you is that when I removed the
      scrubbers I did find a small amount of oxidisation of the copper. This had
      probably occurred when I had not dried the column properly after cleaning.
      I have also remove the top pipe and installed to 1/2" pipes through the top
      of the column.. These cooling pipes are not connected to the condenser as I
      have had problems in the past with stability due to positive feed back loops
      and wanted to avoid them.