Re: TEMPERATURE CONTROLLERS, AUTOMATICS, etc.

  • lapsnuit <lapsnuit@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2003
      Sounds like what I am doing, just reducing input a little
      when the heat up has been achieved.

      Results are 96% and very good taste.

      Cheers

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
      > As I understand there should not be any need for whatever
      automatic controller to regulate the temperature for home type
      stills. Not the ones regulationg the power level of electric
      immersion heaters. As I get it, the whole process is maintaining its
      regularity (:-) by evaporation only -- this it is pure and simple.
      The first factor to adjust is the heat input. Sometimes a lot of
      heat is supplied and the still geometry (column diameter, packing,
      cooling, etc.) can not tolerate this condition. The remedy is to
      reduce heat. Once reduced it should work fine based in physics
      alone. The other factor to adjust would be the coolant flow if extra
      steam is getting out of the vent end of the condenser. In this case -
      - reduce heat yet more or increase coolant flow (for this method to
      work you need a longer cooling condenser). The last thing to tinker
      with would be the return (or reflux what I think is less correct) of
      the distillate back in the column. Once understood these simple
      principles will yield nice resutls!