New to the list - whisky

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2003
      Hello everyone!

      I shall introduce myself, my name is Jay, I'm from Mexico.

      Got a question refering to preparation of whisky, if you could give me some
      pointers.

      I want to make some whisky this year (after I buy/build my own distiller),
      but I want to know if I should cook the corn so the water (wash?)
      can have fuller flavor, I'm thinking about frozen corn bags, should I just
      cook them or let them sit in water for a couple of weeks without
      cooking (or both!). And, is it viable to macerate the corn so it could
      release it's properties in a fuller way?

      Thanks in Advanced!

      May the Force of the Dragon's Spirit be with you...In Accordance With The
      Prophecy.

      Happy Hacking, Bright Blessings and Gentle Breezes!

      -*/ -= )O( Jay "CoolDragon" Arias-Chavez )O( =- /*-

      "En el horizonte vertical yace el espejo de nuestra Alma."
      "In the vertical horizon lies the mirror of our Soul."
      - J. Arias-Chávez
    • waljaco <waljaco@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2003
        OOPS - try
        http://ss.jircas.affrc.go.jp/engpage/jarq/33-1/nishimura/
        nishimura.html
        type in the last bit - nishimura.html
        Wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco <waljaco@h...>"
        <waljaco@h...> wrote:
        > Nishimura in Japan showed that it is not necessary to cook crushed
        > grain to produce shochu which is a distilled alcohol from rice. If
        so
        > it would make life easier for homedistillers!
        > See
        > http://ss.jircas.affrc.go.jp/engpage/jarq/33-
        /nishimura/nishimura.html

      • abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2003
          I'd seriously recommend getting Ian Smiley's whiskey book at
          http://www.home-distilling.com It deals especially with corn whiskey
          and covers about everything including building a still. IMO money
          well spent.

          Greetz, riku