Re: cooling water

  • tony6163 <tony6163@yahoo.com.au>
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 10, 2003
      Any home distiller with an inkling of concern for conservation would
      be loath to use mains pressure to run their condensor. Water is
      precious and we should act responsibly. I would have a hard time
      enjoying a drink knowing how much water was wasted for it's
      production. The way I do it and the way I recommend is to buy one of
      those large plastic 100 litre or so storgage bins and get yourself a
      submersible pump. After a few hrs you will have to replace 75% of the
      water as it will warm up or you can add some milk cartons full of
      icew to keep it cool. Personally, I don't bother with any kind of
      heat exchanger, I just rely on replacing some of the water as it
      heats up.

      cheers

      Tony

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sam & Andrew" <andrell@t...>
      wrote:
      > I am new to distilling and was wondering if anybody could tell me
      the most efficient method of cooling the condensor water? It has been
      suggested to me to use an old heater exchange out of a car and to use
      a fan in front of it. Will this work? It is to much a waste to use a
      continuous flow from the tap! Any advise on this matter would be
      greatly apprecieted. Thanks Andrew.
    • BillyWeeble@cs.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 10, 2003
        In a message dated 1/10/03 6:23:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        tony6163@... writes:

        << Any home distiller with an inkling of concern for conservation would
        be loath to use mains pressure to run their condensor. Water is
        precious and we should act responsibly. >>

        Amen brother, I don't know where Cornfed has been lately. He has a great
        set up for recirc water and I'm not going to take his moment.
        Mine is like yours with a twist - the "tank" is in the bathtub and tilted
        away from the faucets (chunk of wood under). A hole is high in the downside
        to let the warm water flow out and the highside has a slow trickle of cold
        water that enters the "tank" via an (empty) icecube tray to direct the flow
        into it. The pump sits directly below the cool water coming in and the output
        flows into a jar tipped toward the outlet hole so the warm water "floats" out
        while the cooler water stays in. Yeah, it sounds convoluted but what the
        heck, it saves water. I use 200ml a minute as replacement now instead of 2L
        or more straight from the tap and now I can use as much as the pump puts out
        freely and indiscriminately. heh heh.
      • Brandon Lee
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 10, 2003

          have any of u checked into a commercial beer chiller-- when u go to a pub/local gathering  place where they serve beer on tap there is a circulating chiller that keeps the beer cold-- it is usually located somewhere other than where the bar is about 150' and sometimes farther--these make excellent circulators as they have a compressor that runs the temp down to 27 degrees if necessary-- u can run either water or a glycol mix --- they have a circulating pump that pumps the coolant thru your condensor then returns it back to be chilled inside the unit-- i have found that they can be had for almost nothing-- they run on 110vac and use very little electricity--if any one is interested i could furnish the name of the company that manufactures them-- they come in various sizes-- the one i use is a 2.5 gal-- and for the internal reflux model i use the 5 gal unit

          your brother in the spirits

          blueflame456

          tony6163@... writes:

[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Harley Daschund
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 11, 2003
            I have 20 gal(4 5gal buckets) of water I have (re)used for the last 2
            months....with the cold temps this time of year,I can 'cook' 5 gallon
            'batches' and only use 2 buckets of water....I circulate the water with a
            small 'water-garden' type pump....works great in cold wx but not very well
            in summer...:>)

            >From: BillyWeeble@...
            >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: cooling water
            >Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:50:08 EST
            >
            >In a message dated 1/10/03 6:23:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            >tony6163@... writes:
            >
            ><< Any home distiller with an inkling of concern for conservation would
            > be loath to use mains pressure to run their condensor. Water is
            > precious and we should act responsibly. >>
            >
            > Amen brother, I don't know where Cornfed has been lately. He has a
            >great
            >set up for recirc water and I'm not going to take his moment.
            > Mine is like yours with a twist - the "tank" is in the bathtub and
            >tilted
            >away from the faucets (chunk of wood under). A hole is high in the downside
            >to let the warm water flow out and the highside has a slow trickle of cold
            >water that enters the "tank" via an (empty) icecube tray to direct the flow
            >into it. The pump sits directly below the cool water coming in and the
            >output
            >flows into a jar tipped toward the outlet hole so the warm water "floats"
            >out
            >while the cooler water stays in. Yeah, it sounds convoluted but what the
            >heck, it saves water. I use 200ml a minute as replacement now instead of 2L
            >or more straight from the tap and now I can use as much as the pump puts
            >out
            >freely and indiscriminately. heh heh.

          • Robert N
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 11, 2003

              Hi Harley, the tap water here comes out at 27degrees C. Even recirculating the water and changing it once it reaches 50C, I go through 400 litres per run! Now if only I could tap into the neighbours swimming pool J

              Have a great day!

              Robert

            • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 12, 2003
                I use water from the tap. I don't feel bad about
                this since we are on a spring/well system. What
                water we don't run through the tap will naturally
                run itself out of the ground and down the creek.
                I only have to pay for the electricity to pump it.

                -A

                wrote:
                > I am new to distilling and was wondering if anybody could tell me
                the most efficient method of cooling the condensor water? It has been
                suggested to me to use an old heater exchange out of a car and to use
                a fan in front of it. Will this work? It is to much a waste to use a
                continuous flow from the tap! Any advise on this matter would be
                greatly apprecieted. Thanks Andrew.
              • Sam Billing
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 13, 2003
                  Yes Brandon,I would like to know the company that
                  makes them. I have been saving parts to make a larger
                  and more eficient pot still and this seems to fill the
                  bill for cooling.

                  Sam

                  "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=219695.2850578.4203976.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=1400466/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;5046279;7790548;y?http://www.ameritrade.com/o.cgi?a=cjx&o=roc&p=/offer/25.html";var

                  'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/am/ameritrade/120402_am_ban_bc_x49_x_300x250_3.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var

                  "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=219695.2850578.4203976.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=1400466/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;5046279;7790548;y?http://www.ameritrade.com/o.cgi?a=cjx&o=roc&p=/offer/25.html";var

                  "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/am/ameritrade/120402_am_ban_off_x82_x_300x250_6.gif";var
                  > lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                  > Terms of Service.

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Darryl Ward
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 13, 2003
                    What about adapting an old car radiator and using the pump motor to drive
                    the fan?

                    Just a thought.

                    Cheers

                    Darryl

> [...]
                    > > in the bathtub and tilted
                    > > away from the faucets (chunk of wood under). A hole
                    > > is high in the downside
                    > > to let the warm water flow out and the highside has
                    > > a slow trickle of cold
                    > > water that enters the "tank" via an (empty) icecube
                    > > tray to direct the flow
                    > > into it. The pump sits directly below the cool water
                    > > coming in and the output
                    > > flows into a jar tipped toward the outlet hole so
                    > > the warm water "floats" out
                    > > while the cooler water stays in. Yeah, it sounds
                    > > convoluted but what the
                    > > heck, it saves water. I use 200ml a minute as
                    > > replacement now instead of 2L
                    > > or more straight from the tap and now I can use as
                    > > much as the pump puts out
                    > > freely and indiscriminately. heh heh.
                    > >
                    > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                    > > var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new

                  • Sam Billing
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 14, 2003
                      Something like that was my previos plan and still
                      might be if this cooling unit is too expensive or
                      looks like it won't work for me.
                      Sam

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • Brandon Lee
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 14, 2003

                        Sam--the company for the chiller is K-Way Products Inc. Tech support number is

                        1-800-622-9163

                        Physical address

                        759 W. Commercial

                        Mount Carroll, Illinois 61053

                        1-815-244-2800

                        Do you Yahoo!?

                      • whammo57
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 29, 2004
                          to all................

                          I have a few questions for this vast receptical of knowledge and
                          experience....

                          For those of you that use a tank of water and a recirculating pump for
                          cooling the condenser,...

                          1. what is the capacity of the tank ??

                          2. how do you keep the tank cool ??

                          3. do you have any recommendations ??

                          4. is this the best system or is there a better solution ??

                          5. what is the temperature of the recirculating water ??

                          6. what is the volume of water that is pumped per minute ??

                          thanks

                          Kim
                        • Levi Langershank
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 29, 2004
                            >From: "whammo57" <kimwalk@...>

                            >Subject: [new_distillers] cooling water

                            >to all................
                            >
                            >I have a few questions for this vast receptical of knowledge and
                            >experience....
                            >
                            >For those of you that use a tank of water and a recirculating pump for
                            >cooling the condenser,...
                            >
                            >1. what is the capacity of the tank ??
                            Laundry sink...probably 25-30 gallons maximum....

                            >2. how do you keep the tank cool ??
                            Use enough water so it cools itself....

                            >3. do you have any recommendations ??
                            Experiment a bit and determine what works best in your particular
                            situation....

                            >4. is this the best system or is there a better solution ??
                            Works great in my particular setup....

                            >5. what is the temperature of the recirculating water ??
                            Never checked it......

                            >6. what is the volume of water that is pumped per minute ??
                            I dont recall the specs of my pump...its not much though.....my pump uses .5
                            in hose and will pump a stream of water < 2 ft horizontally...not much
                            pressure at all...

                            >thanks
                            >
                            >Kim

                          • dean
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 29, 2004
                              If youhave trouble keeping your reservour cool try putting a few frozen
                              soft drink bottles in it.

                              Dean.

                              Levi Langershank wrote:

                              >>From: "whammo57" <kimwalk@...>
                              >>

                              >>Subject: [new_distillers] cooling water
                              >>

                              >>to all................
                              >>
                              >>I have a few questions for this vast receptical of knowledge and
                              >>experience....
                              >>
                              >>For those of you that use a tank of water and a recirculating pump for
                              >>cooling the condenser,...
                              >>
                              >>1. what is the capacity of the tank ??
                              >>

                              >Laundry sink...probably 25-30 gallons maximum....
                              >

                              >>2. how do you keep the tank cool ??
                              >>

                              >Use enough water so it cools itself....
                              >

                              >>3. do you have any recommendations ??
                              >>

                              >Experiment a bit and determine what works best in your particular
                              >situation....
                              >

                              >>4. is this the best system or is there a better solution ??
                              >>

                              >Works great in my particular setup....
                              >

                              >>5. what is the temperature of the recirculating water ??
                              >>

                              >Never checked it......
                              >

                              >>6. what is the volume of water that is pumped per minute ??
                              >>

                              >I dont recall the specs of my pump...its not much though.....my pump uses .5
                              > in hose and will pump a stream of water < 2 ft horizontally...not much
                              >pressure at all...
                              >

                              >>thanks
                              >>
                              >>Kim

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • David W Lunsford
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 29, 2004
                                I, being a cheapskate, bought a 4.00$ kiddy swimming pool from wally world.
                                I then built a cooling tower from scrap wood (similar to a staircase with
                                all the steps sloping downward,) and put a 1/2 gallon plastic jug on its
                                side on top of this. The jug has holes punched in it to allow water to
                                "rain" out onto the steps, trickling down step to step, and air cooling. I
                                simply run the output hose into the mouth of this bottle. The water runs
                                into the bottle, out the holes on the step side, and trickles from step to
                                step, as seen at power plants, etc. but smaller scale. I have to add a
                                little water after a couple hours, but not much....Dave

                                At 03:19 PM 9/29/04 -0000, you wrote:

                                >to all................
                                >
                                >I have a few questions for this vast receptical of knowledge and
                                >experience....
                                >
                                >For those of you that use a tank of water and a recirculating pump for
                                >cooling the condenser,...
                                >
                                >1. what is the capacity of the tank ??
                                >
                                >2. how do you keep the tank cool ??
                                >
                                >3. do you have any recommendations ??
                                >
                                >4. is this the best system or is there a better solution ??
                                >
                                >5. what is the temperature of the recirculating water ??
                                >
                                >6. what is the volume of water that is pumped per minute ??
                                >
                                >thanks
                                >
                                >Kim

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Levi Langershank
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 29, 2004
                                  :>)....or add more water...:>)

                                  >From: dean <deanlil@...>
                                  >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] cooling water
                                  >If youhave trouble keeping your reservour cool try putting a few frozen
                                  >soft drink bottles in it.

                                • bradr36
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 29, 2004
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whammo57" <kimwalk@u...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > 1. what is the capacity of the tank ??
                                    > 2. how do you keep the tank cool ??
                                    > 3. do you have any recommendations ??
                                    > 4. is this the best system or is there a better solution ??
                                    > 5. what is the temperature of the recirculating water ??
                                    > 6. what is the volume of water that is pumped per minute ??
                                    > thanks
                                    > Kim
                                    where you live plays a big part on questions 1&2 i would try and
                                    design on a worse case scenario (the hottest day in the year where
                                    you live)

                                    this type of system should be the most efficient(other than a
                                    properly designed air cooled condenser)just on the fact alone that
                                    you won't be wasting any water

                                    you should only need a minumum amount of flow to do the job, sorry i
                                    don't know what that is others might be able to help out there

                                    when selecting a pump you should pay more attention to the feet of
                                    head the pump can flow (the distance from the pump to the top of the
                                    condenser), this greatly affects the perfomance of the pump

                                    to me the most important question is the maximum temp of the inlet
                                    side of the condenser that will do the job, this number should
                                    determine how you should build

                                    i live in a pretty hot climate and don't distill in the summer for
                                    this reason (need to air condition the garage)

                                    i use a 30 gallon plastic drum(55 gallon would probably be better)an
                                    old water cooler condensor and fan (could probably be bigger)and a
                                    300 gph pump(probably too big) with frozen 2 liter bottle on hand,
                                    this works for me on 80 degree days

                                    hope that helps, now to my question

                                    what would be maximum temp of the inlet side of the condenser that
                                    will do the job?

                                    what would be the minumum gpm's with 6 feet ot head?

                                    BR
                                  • Kim Walker
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 30, 2004
                                      Brad,

                                      Well .... I have generated lots of information....

                                      I have a large pump, so head is not a problem..... I can pump 20 gal per
                                      min at 10 ft

                                      From the answers here, I have decided to get a larger tank, probably a
                                      50 gal plastic drum, they are $8 locally

                                      I have an aircooled condenser from a window air conditioning unit with a
                                      fan blowing through it and I can do the plastic bottles of ice....that
                                      should take care of the condenser.... I have not seen anyone say what
                                      the max temp of the condenser water should be but I suspect anything
                                      less than 35 to 40 deg C should do it....? (correct me if I am wrong in
                                      my assumption) .and I know that the condenser will require
                                      significantly less heat transfer when condensing alcohol than when
                                      condensing water ....

                                      I have built a forced reflux addition and I will probably use house
                                      water and run it to waste and not recirculate it.... for that because I
                                      found out that the forced reflux column releases a lot more heat than
                                      the condenser... ( I have done 2 runs with just water in the boiler to
                                      test it)..

                                      I have a bucket of wash bubbling and when I run it through I will post
                                      pics and information...

                                      I have built everything from information on this forum and I have made a
                                      few "interesting changes" of my own that I will share....

                                      thank you

                                      Kim
                                      ******************

                                      bradr36 wrote:

                                      >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whammo57" <kimwalk@u...>
                                      >wrote:
                                      >

                                      >>1. what is the capacity of the tank ??
                                      >>2. how do you keep the tank cool ??
                                      >>3. do you have any recommendations ??
                                      >>4. is this the best system or is there a better solution ??
                                      >>5. what is the temperature of the recirculating water ??
                                      >>6. what is the volume of water that is pumped per minute ??
                                      >>thanks
                                      >>Kim

                                      >where you live plays a big part on questions 1&2 i would try and
                                      >design on a worse case scenario (the hottest day in the year where
                                      >you live)
                                      >
                                      >this type of system should be the most efficient(other than a
                                      >properly designed air cooled condenser)just on the fact alone that
                                      >you won't be wasting any water
                                      >
                                      >you should only need a minumum amount of flow to do the job, sorry i
                                      >don't know what that is others might be able to help out there
                                      >
                                      >when selecting a pump you should pay more attention to the feet of
                                      >head the pump can flow (the distance from the pump to the top of the
                                      >condenser), this greatly affects the perfomance of the pump
                                      >
                                      >to me the most important question is the maximum temp of the inlet
                                      >side of the condenser that will do the job, this number should
                                      >determine how you should build
                                      >
                                      >i live in a pretty hot climate and don't distill in the summer for
                                      >this reason (need to air condition the garage)
                                      >
                                      >i use a 30 gallon plastic drum(55 gallon would probably be better)an
                                      >old water cooler condensor and fan (could probably be bigger)and a
                                      >300 gph pump(probably too big) with frozen 2 liter bottle on hand,
                                      >this works for me on 80 degree days
                                      >
                                      >hope that helps, now to my question
                                      >
                                      >what would be maximum temp of the inlet side of the condenser that
                                      >will do the job?
                                      >
                                      >what would be the minumum gpm's with 6 feet ot head?
                                      >
                                      >BR

                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Levi Langershank
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 30, 2004
                                        As long as the distillate is being condensed,the coolant isnt too
                                        hot...warm distillate hurts nothing...:>)

                                        >From: Kim Walker <kimwalk@...>

                                        >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: cooling water
                                        .... I have not seen anyone say what
                                        >the max temp of the condenser water should be but I suspect anything
                                        >less than 35 to 40 deg C should do it....?

                                      • stevolate
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 30, 2004
                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kim Walker <kimwalk@u...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > Brad,
                                          >
                                          > Well .... I have generated lots of information....
                                          >
                                          > I have a large pump, so head is not a problem..... I can pump 20
                                          gal per
                                          > min at 10 ft

                                          I suspect that is 20 litres per minute

                                          > I have built a forced reflux addition and I will probably use house
                                          > water and run it to waste and not recirculate it.... for that
                                          because I
                                          > found out that the forced reflux column releases a lot more heat
                                          than
                                          > the condenser... ( I have done 2 runs with just water in the boiler
                                          > test it)..
                                          > thank you
                                          >
                                          > Kim

                                          Hi Kim
                                          Love to see photos of forcer reflux setup, and post how it goes.

                                          Good luck

                                          Stevo
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
                                            You get my email, Stevo?