Oak barrels

  • Shane Kirkman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2003
      Hi everyone! just back from 3wks holiday at Inverell NSW.
      While I was there, I came across a building recycling centre that has
      Oak Barrels for $100 each or $60 for a halve (cut across for pot plants ,
      what a damn waste).
      They are genuine American Oak (got stamps on them), 2 year old used for
      port , I am not sure of the size roughly about 200 L .
      Also the owner told me he would deliver "free" between Sydney & Brisbane
      as long as it was on his normal route .
      The address is : Inverell Building B-aaagain Centre 129 Otho Street
      Inverell Ph/Fax (02)67210389 ,no email .
      I told the owner I would post the details on the Net and get a few sales
      for him so if you could give me a Plug and tell them it was Shane the red
      haired bloke who sent you I might get a free barrel out of it . (I was
      travelling by bus and couldn't afford one ).

      Cheers hope everyone had a good Christmas ,

      Eat - Drink - Smoke and be good ! Shane

      ---

      Eat - Drink - Smoke and be good ! Shane

      - What's on at your local cinema?
    • waljaco <waljaco@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2003
        Old barrels are not suitable for oak flavoring, especially ex-wine
        barrels! All the flavors have been leached out and they are are only
        suitable for storage (or petunias). Scottish whisky uses ex-sherry or
        ex-bourbon barrels, not ex-wine.
        Wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Kirkman"
        <shanekirkman@y...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone! just back from 3wks holiday at Inverell NSW.
        > While I was there, I came across a building recycling centre
        that has
        > Oak Barrels for $100 each or $60 for a halve (cut across for pot
        plants ,
        > what a damn waste).
        > They are genuine American Oak (got stamps on them), 2 year old
        used for
        > port , I am not sure of the size roughly about 200 L .
        > Also the owner told me he would deliver "free" between Sydney &
        Brisbane
        > as long as it was on his normal route .
        > The address is : Inverell Building B-aaagain Centre 129 Otho
        Street
        > Inverell Ph/Fax (02)67210389 ,no email .
        > I told the owner I would post the details on the Net and get a
        few sales
        > for him so if you could give me a Plug and tell them it was Shane
        the red
        > haired bloke who sent you I might get a free barrel out of it . (I
        was
        > travelling by bus and couldn't afford one ).
        >
        > Cheers hope everyone had a good Christmas ,
        >

        > Eat - Drink - Smoke and be good ! Shane
        >

        > ---
        >
        > Eat - Drink - Smoke and be good ! Shane
        >
        > http://movies.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Movies
        > - What's on at your local cinema?
      • Alexander
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2005
          Can anyone tell me if there is a problem in using an oak barrel, which
          has just been emptied of white wine, to store spirits...I aim to age
          bourbon in it.
          Any suggestions or advise?
          Alexander
        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 25, 2005
            How big is the barrel? Does it correspond in volume to your
            product? How old is it and what else was it used for.
            Is it charred.
            I'm guessing that if it is used for white wine that it is not
            charred. Bourbon type alcohols are usually stored in charred barrels.
            Also, if you are planning for the alcohol to abosorb oak and tannins
            from the barrel, then you need to know the age.
            As time and use proceeds the ability of the oak to provide the
            necessary flavor will decrease.
            At 05:42 PM 11/25/2005, you wrote:
            >Can anyone tell me if there is a problem in using an oak barrel, which
            >has just been emptied of white wine, to store spirits...I aim to age
            >bourbon in it.
            >Any suggestions or advise?
            >Alexander

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Derek
            Victoria, B. C.
            Canada
          • Robert N
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 25, 2005
              Hi Alexander, there will be a few variables of course, but I would go ahead
              anyway. The timbers of the barrel will have soaked in some of the wine, so
              the wine will impart its flavour profile into your bourbon. Bourbon
              traditionally is aged in charred barrels; I imagine this barrel you speak
              about would not be charred if it has been used for white wine. Why not look
              for a cooperage that will either recondition your barrel or buy another from
              him already charred to your liking. If this is not possible, fill the barrel
              with water and leave it for a few months if possible. You would need to fill
              the barrel with water if you don't have the spirit to fill the barrel to
              above the 2/3 mark anyway until such time as you have the required quantity
              of spirit to fill the barrel. If you leave a barrel less than 2/3 full for
              any length of time they tend to dry out, which causes the timber to warp and
              leak, ruining the barrel.

              Yours in Spirit

              Robert

              _____