Double Distilling

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2003

      A few times I removed the reflux column and used my still as a common pot still
      (shown here:

      Consistently the pot still production output is around 65% on the first run. The good thing is that in this mode I get close to 2 Liter per hour.

      My assumption based on many discussions, is that if I introduce activated charcoal in the 65% product from the pot still setup, it would remove unwanted flavors better than if it would in 95% solution. Very possible it is yet better to cut this 65% spirit in half and use charcoals in this low strength alcohol to clean it. Then my extrapolation sense suggests that re-distilling this cleaned-up 32.5% or 65% spirit again with a reflux column would yield a superior 95% alcohol free of inclusions.

      Since I would like to get 95% alcohol free of any flavors it appears to be logical to redistill it with a reflux column again.  I am trying to get a trade-off point in running twice as much alcohol to 65% and then combining this cleaned alcohol in one batch to distill to 95% from double the 65% amount of wash.

      Please correct my line of thought I you think I am somewhat off the correct path.

      I can be wrong I must say.
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • orgulasmaggot <orgulasmaggot@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2003
        That's pretty much what I do.

        I run a basic worm in an icebucket condensor still and collect until
        I'm at about a combined 55% (actual output at 20% or so).

        I cut that to 35-40%, set it on active carbon and ignore it for a week
        or so before running it through coffee filters and then distill that.

        Is this the best way?

        I don't know.

        It works and seems to yield a fairly neutral spirit.