help me im confused

  • james17982002 <james.oconnor3@ntlworld.c
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
      hi everyone
      today i was going to buy my first potstill( either spirits
      unlimited or still spirits 25l stills) for whiskey making when
      reading tony acklands site, i am told not to use an internal element
      still with the wash i want to use as the element would ruin the
      whiskey! i don't know what to do now as i am desparate to get started
      now but im confused as what to do! is there an externally heated
      still anywhere to buy or will i have to make one myself? please help
      as i was looking forward to getting started especially as i have to
      unfortunately import into scotland where i live and i was wanting to
      start soon.
    • abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
        If it's whiskey you are after I'd seriously consider getting Ian
        Smiley's book and reading it first. After that collect few good
        recipes from net. You might change your mind about pot still after
        reading Ian's book. Also making a pot still yourself is really
        simple, just a large kettle (20-30l), some aquarium grade silicone,
        plastic bucket with lid, one fermentation bucket washer and 5 meters
        of 12 mm copper pipe. Look for pictures at Tony's site and you'll
        figure it out.

        Greetz, riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "james17982002
      • waljaco <waljaco@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
          If you produce a clear wash you will not get burning no matter what
          the heat source. External heat can be a problem too -
          Moonshiners used a slab of stone to dissipate the heat. A water bath
          could achieve the same.
          Wal