Re: [new_distillers] dough gasket for leaks

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2002
      Hi Phillipa,
      flour-water dough as a still-sealant goes back at least to the moonshine-revenuer days, and probably before that back to scots and irish distilling practices.  Interestingly, by sheer coincidence I was watching that old Robert Mitchum flick "Thunder Road", a fairly realistic account of liquor-running through the Tennessee mountains.  In it, Mitchum's screen-father is seen assembling a large copper still, slopping on batter to seal the thing.
      John

      brewingrulez wrote:
      Hi,

      Was having problems with leaks and used someone's suggestion to make
      a flour water mixture about the same consistancy as bread dough. It
      worked really well.

      I forget who posted the suggestion to this group. Thanks for the idea.

      Cheers
      Phillipa