building a Nixon-Stone in Oz

  • brewingrulez <brewingrulez@yahoo.com.au>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2002
      Greetings,

      A few days ago, Matt was asking for ideas on sourcing materials.

      Don't go to hardware stores, go to where plumbers source their bits
      and pieces from, look for plumbers work vehicles parked outside. You
      may have to try a few suppliers for different fittings.

      Most suppliers will not sell you a piece of copper pipe. They only
      supply six meter lengths. A length of 3" will cost $200-300.

      Try your local scrap metal recycler for 2" and 3". We got enough
      straight pipe and some of the flexible tubing for the water coil for
      about $20. Or make friends with a plumber. The recyclers also sell
      kegs, $15 each.

      The thin flexible pipe for the cooling water is also known as
      refridgerant line.

      Needle valves, ours came from BBQs Galore, $30 each. Or try
      hydraulics hose shops. Don't forget to take the seat or needle bit
      out while soldering in as it often has plastic/rubber component.

      Make sure you use 8"of 3", rather than 6" as one diagram shows. Also
      extend the 2" column, I think 1.2 metres is what we used as per
      someone's suggestion.

      Don't forget you can browse through old posts on yahoo. There is a
      wealth of info there.

      Cheers
      Phillipa