Re: [new_distillers] New Members first questions on still construction

  • resasi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26 2:57 AM
      I am considering the construction of a fractionating column of stainless
      steel and am considering approx 2 inch diameter piping with a column length
      of approx 3 feet. I was wondering about installing a cooling coil of about
      four inches at the top of the column with a variable inlet (tap) to allow me
      to stabilise the temp at the top of the column. Is this an unnecessary
      refinement?
      The packing, I am going to try to get ceramic packing to avoid settling and
      to achieve uniform spacing in the column I intend to begin about three inches
      from the bottom of the tower and continue up for about two feet with the
      packing. The condensation column was going to be stainless in a copper outer
      jacket for better heat dissipation but I am interested in the suggestion that
      the copper absorbing some of the other undesirable compounds. The
      construction of the tower was stainless for cleaning purposes as well as
      durability, I understand the cost factor is of course much higher as well as
      welding complexity.
      My measurements are all approximate because I don't know the force from the
      boiler (intended stainless steel milk churn) probably about 5 galls.
      Any comments gratefully received.
       P.S. Have had very good results with the digital probe cooking thermometer
      from Radio Shack on top of my present one foot copper tower 2" diameter with
      marbles. That was built on the Blue Flame plans and works well. I haven't
      established purity but don't think it is as high as the results of 4th run
      from my original pressure cooker pot type, just a hell of a lot quicker and
      much less effort. I also now purchase 1st and second run  feed and in effect
      am merely purifying, but I would like to go back to doing the whole process
      myself but using the much bigger cracking tower to speed up the running which
      used to take me three days for a 10 Gall initial batch on the 18Lt pot
      method, very slow and used a lot of water for the cooling process.
      Grateful for any feedback or tips,
      Thanks and regards to all