Re: [new_distillers] Re: Dilution Question

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
      > as for the cloudy spirit, that is a problem and is not normal. it
      > could be leaching plastic from somewhere on your still. you should
      > have no plastic in contact with the vapour especially after it has
      > come out of the top of the column. collect only in a glass jar too.
      > you can redistill it and it should be ok. carbon should clean it up
      > too. the plastic comes out of solution when it is diluted and that is
      > why it is clear when still high strength.

      Dene,Peter is correct - you should not have cloudy spirit coming from the
      condenser. It should be very crystal clear. If it is cloudy you have
      trouble in the column somewhere.

      The only time when I may have cloudiness coming from the still is when I am
      way over into the tails.
      John V
    • travellerwiz
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
        I'm under the impression that his spirit is crystal clear and only
        becomes cloudy when he dilutes it. This has happened to me when the
        water that I used for dilution was cold (From the Fridge). I think
        the combination of cold and Ethanol causes something in the tap water
        to make the spirit cloudy. It turned clear once I ran it through
        Carbon..

        --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
        wrote:
        > > as for the cloudy spirit, that is a problem and is not normal. it
        > > could be leaching plastic from somewhere on your still. you should
        > > have no plastic in contact with the vapour especially after it has
        > > come out of the top of the column. collect only in a glass jar
        too.
        > > you can redistill it and it should be ok. carbon should clean it
        up
        > > too. the plastic comes out of solution when it is diluted and
        that is
        > > why it is clear when still high strength.
        >
        > Dene,Peter is correct - you should not have cloudy spirit coming
        from the
        > condenser. It should be very crystal clear. If it is cloudy you
        have
        > trouble in the column somewhere.
        >
        > The only time when I may have cloudiness coming from the still is
        when I am
        > way over into the tails.
        > John V
      • pjmnc62
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
          --- In new_distillers, "peter_vcb" wrote:

          > as for the cloudy spirit, that is a problem and is not
          > normal. it could be leaching plastic from somewhere on
          > your still. you should have no plastic in contact with
          > the vapour especially after it has come out of the top
          > of the column. collect only in a glass jar too. you can
          > redistill it and it should be ok. carbon should clean
          > it up too. the plastic comes out of solution when it
          > is diluted and that is why it is clear when still
          > high strength.

          Peter, Dene included a link for a pix of his still in his
          original post.
          http://www.oldengine.org/members/dene/still.htm
          Take a look, You called that one perfectly. Plastic
          tubing from the still head to the cooling coil. (Unless
          he changed the makeup since the pix.)
          PJ
        • CornFed (Randy)
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
            I have had clear distillate go cloudy when using common tap water to
            dilute it. It appeared to bring the naturally occuring mineral
            content to come out of suspension and become visible. After a few
            days on the shelf, it cleared itself and settled the white sediment
            onto the bottom of the jar.

            --- In new_distillers@y..., "travellerwiz" <travellerw@u...> wrote:
            > I'm under the impression that his spirit is crystal clear and only
            > becomes cloudy when he dilutes it. This has happened to me when the
            > water that I used for dilution was cold (From the Fridge). I think
            > the combination of cold and Ethanol causes something in the tap
            water
            > to make the spirit cloudy. It turned clear once I ran it through
            > Carbon..
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
            > wrote:
            > > > as for the cloudy spirit, that is a problem and is not normal.
            it
            > > > could be leaching plastic from somewhere on your still. you
            should
            > > > have no plastic in contact with the vapour especially after it
            has
            > > > come out of the top of the column. collect only in a glass jar
            > too.
            > > > you can redistill it and it should be ok. carbon should clean
            it
            > up
            > > > too. the plastic comes out of solution when it is diluted and
            > that is
            > > > why it is clear when still high strength.
            > >
            > > Dene,Peter is correct - you should not have cloudy spirit coming
            > from the
            > > condenser. It should be very crystal clear. If it is cloudy you
            > have
            > > trouble in the column somewhere.
            > >
            > > The only time when I may have cloudiness coming from the still is
            > when I am
            > > way over into the tails.
            > > John V
          • Dene Oehme
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
              > Dene,Peter is correct - you should not have cloudy spirit coming
              > from the condenser. It should be very crystal clear.

              As I said in my original post - the s[irit coming from the still is
              perfectly clear at 90% and it only went cloudy when I diluted it 50/50
              with distilled water.

              Dene
            • travellerwiz
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
                Are you using Tap water...

                --- In new_distillers@y..., "Dene Oehme" <waterline@o...> wrote:

                > > Dene,Peter is correct - you should not have cloudy spirit coming
                > > from the condenser. It should be very crystal clear.
                >
                > As I said in my original post - the s[irit coming from the still is
                > perfectly clear at 90% and it only went cloudy when I diluted it
                50/50
                > with distilled water.
                >
                > Dene
              • Baker