Re: [new_distillers] Rum distillation

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
      Andre,
      reflux stills are very efficient at isolating alcohol from everything else
      in the wash. In fact, that is why reflux stills are used to produce
      near-pure alcohol. My guess is that you should use a potstill if you want
      to preserve flavours.
      John V

      André Roets wrote:

      > I just tried my first rum distillation. I used 3kg Treacle Sugar, 1kg
      > molasses and 0.5kg white sugar on about a 20l mix. The fermentation went
      > well. I distilled it using a de-tuned reflux still and collected spirits
      > from 78 deg up to 86 deg celcius. The problem is that there is hardly
      > any flavour in the spirits. Can anyone advise me how to do this
      > correctly? André Roets

    • André Roets
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
        Thanks for the advice.  I will keep you posted

        André Roets
        "I distilled it using a de-tuned reflux still" -- this is the key issue. There are many scenarios how you de-tuned it. If you had some packing in the column left then this could be the reason No.1 If you had your condenser running while distilling it could be the reason No.2 The third reason may be that you used just a minor portion of flavor ingridient - molasses. I could come up with other causes, but try this first - no packing at all and no refluxing on top of the column plus a little more molasses. Don't forget to tell us how it goes.

         André_Roets <ats2@...> wrote:

        I just tried my first rum distillation.  I used 3kg Treacle Sugar, 1kg molasses and 0.5kg white sugar on about a 20l mix.  The fermentation went well.  I distilled it using a de-tuned reflux still and collected spirits from 78 deg up to 86 deg celcius.  The problem is that there is hardly any flavour in the spirits.  Can anyone advise me how to do this correctly?
        André Roets

        I can be wrong I must say.
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • André Roets
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
          I am from South Africa and all sugar comes from cane as well.  I am fermenting a new batch with more molases and with some changes to the still I hope to get it right