RE: [new_distillers] potstill plans

  • Aaron Pelly
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
      Light blue touch paper and stand well back...
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002

        Exactly, I don't know who put a stick up that guys butt.

        I've got a pot still with thumper and I'm very pleased with it. Ran a corn mash through it  this weekend, and produced a nice flavoured corn liquor at 83%ABV on a single run. I've got it diluted down to 120proof and sitting on oak right now, in a couple weeks I'll dilute it down to 100proof for drinking.

        IT is my belief that if you're going to be producing beverage alcohol you ought to do it the old fashioned, and in my opinion easier, way.

        The K.I.S.S. principle rules

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2002
          hi James
          if you want a pot still i would suggest getting a copper central
          heating cylinder. you can pick up a brand new one from woodies for
          between 80 and 160 euros. i think some are 200litres and as low as 60
          litres. all of them have threaded holes already in them so you could
          have proper connections easily set up with no need for welding or
          silicon sealant. most whiskey potstillers would agree that a totally
          copper still is ideal. they will also have fittings in the tank for
          elements too. most whiskey makers would probably prefer an external
          heated external heater, be it gas or electric. you can buy blank
          plugs for extra holes, one of the holes could be used for a
          thermometer. again all the tubing and connections ets can be got in
          woodies or probably any plumbing/building supply centre like
          chadwicks. if you are not a good at DIY i would suggest a worm
          condenser for the still since a liebeg may need hard to get parts and
          is difficult to make. better still find a plumber you know who will
          keep quiet for a few bottles ;) get him to braze up the whole thing.
          he could make a proper plumbed in liebeg too, he will get all the
          materials cheaper than you can so his total cost including labour
          could be well worth it. i would design it so you can add a reflux
          column later on if you need it. there are plenty of photos for
          reference on Tony's site

          --- In new_distillers@y..., "james17982002" <james.oconnor3@n...>
        • Still - Cooker <stillcooker@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
            You might have a look at:

            www.stillcooker.servebeer.com

            Cheers!
            StillCooker - StillCooking....

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

            > welcome - please see "Files" and "Photos" sections.
            > james17982002 <james.oconnor3@n...> wrote:does anyone have designs
            for potstills that i could use to make my
            > own still for whiskey, rum,and poitin? also what would be the
            output
            > of the different stills in terms of amount of spirit and quality?
            > thanks james
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.