Re: [new_distillers] potstill plans

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002

      welcome - please see "Files" and "Photos" sections.

       james17982002 <james.oconnor3@...> wrote:

      does anyone have designs for potstills that i could use to make my
      own still for whiskey, rum,and poitin? also what would be the output
      of the different stills in terms of amount of spirit and quality?
                              thanks    james

      I can be wrong I must say.
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Chris Hopfe
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002

        I do not have any designs, but you may want to consider a reflux instead of a pot still. It is my belief that if your'e going to the trouble to build one you might as well build one worthy of your time and effort.

        >From: BOKAKOB
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] potstill plans
        >Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:55:57 -0800 (PST)
        >

        >welcome - please see "Files" and "Photos" sections.
        > james17982002 wrote:does anyone have designs for potstills that i could use to make my
        >own still for whiskey, rum,and poitin? also what would be the output
        >of the different stills in terms of amount of spirit and quality?
        > thanks james
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        >I can be wrong I must say.
        >Cheers, Alex...

        >New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo!

      • Aaron Pelly
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
          Light blue touch paper and stand well back...
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002

            Exactly, I don't know who put a stick up that guys butt.

            I've got a pot still with thumper and I'm very pleased with it. Ran a corn mash through it  this weekend, and produced a nice flavoured corn liquor at 83%ABV on a single run. I've got it diluted down to 120proof and sitting on oak right now, in a couple weeks I'll dilute it down to 100proof for drinking.

            IT is my belief that if you're going to be producing beverage alcohol you ought to do it the old fashioned, and in my opinion easier, way.

            The K.I.S.S. principle rules

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2002
              hi James
              if you want a pot still i would suggest getting a copper central
              heating cylinder. you can pick up a brand new one from woodies for
              between 80 and 160 euros. i think some are 200litres and as low as 60
              litres. all of them have threaded holes already in them so you could
              have proper connections easily set up with no need for welding or
              silicon sealant. most whiskey potstillers would agree that a totally
              copper still is ideal. they will also have fittings in the tank for
              elements too. most whiskey makers would probably prefer an external
              heated external heater, be it gas or electric. you can buy blank
              plugs for extra holes, one of the holes could be used for a
              thermometer. again all the tubing and connections ets can be got in
              woodies or probably any plumbing/building supply centre like
              chadwicks. if you are not a good at DIY i would suggest a worm
              condenser for the still since a liebeg may need hard to get parts and
              is difficult to make. better still find a plumber you know who will
              keep quiet for a few bottles ;) get him to braze up the whole thing.
              he could make a proper plumbed in liebeg too, he will get all the
              materials cheaper than you can so his total cost including labour
              could be well worth it. i would design it so you can add a reflux
              column later on if you need it. there are plenty of photos for
              reference on Tony's site

              --- In new_distillers@y..., "james17982002" <james.oconnor3@n...>
            • Still - Cooker <stillcooker@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
                You might have a look at:

                www.stillcooker.servebeer.com

                Cheers!
                StillCooker - StillCooking....

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

                > welcome - please see "Files" and "Photos" sections.
                > james17982002 <james.oconnor3@n...> wrote:does anyone have designs
                for potstills that i could use to make my
                > own still for whiskey, rum,and poitin? also what would be the
                output
                > of the different stills in terms of amount of spirit and quality?
                > thanks james
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Service.