Re: [new_distillers] Re: Still improvement question

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
      1) Alcoholmeter - you can check higher alcohol ranges by dropping the
      alcoholmeter into a bottle of wine, and into a bottle of vodka. The latter
      should give you a credible reading for 42%abv.
      2) Leaky condenser - that suggestion is a good one. Try turning on the
      condenser water lines, without any heat. Can you isolate the condenser? And
      watch for water coming from the drain spout. (Which it should not.)
      John
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002

        It appears that your heat power is too high. try running the still with a spacers between the hot plate and the pot. you may want to use machine nuts. if it works out then you will have to think how to control input power for your heating element. i am so happy i use natural gas.

         deno752002 <waterline@...> wrote:

        I've given my new still a few more runs.  I am finding it difficult if
        not impossible to get the still to run with the column head
        temperature below 90 degrees C.

        On the last run it stayed at about 93 degrees pretty well the whole
        time untill the run was finished and I wound up with distilate at
        55% which matches Tony's graph for vapour alcohol content.

        I want to get the percentage in the distillate up a bit - more
        like an easily achievable 80% for which I would need a column head
        vapour temp of about the mid 80s.  (Am I basiccally correct
        here??)

        At the moment my column is 2" by 2 feet high with scrubbers for 18
        inches in it.  Would lengething the height of the column by 380mm (15
        inches) and adding another foot or so of scrubbers allow it to run
        with a cooler head vapour temp?

        If not I might just have to make an internal reflux coil for it after
        all.

        Any suggestions most welcome.

        There is a photo of the still in it's current form at;

        http://www.oldengine.org/members/dene/still.htm

        Thanks in advance
        Dene
        getctat the top of the column