Re: Still improvement question

  • Dene Oehme
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In new_distillers@y..., "Dene Oehme" <waterline@o...> wrote:

      > > Hi Dene,
      > > Just some loose ideas...
      > > Fill the column entirely with scrubbers,
      > > Don't insulate the top part of the column.
      > > Don't try to control the boiling temperature of the wash.
      >
      > Thanks Dirk - Giving it all a try now. Will let you know
      > how it goes. I've also lengthened my column to just
      > under 1 metre.

      Ok.....New Question...... I've just run the still with the
      improvements Dirk suggested and the longer fully packed column. It
      ran with a head temp at around 79 - 80oC for most of the run,
      increasing gradually towards the end but never over 88 or so. How
      come I still got a distilate of only 50% average?

      I was measuring alcohol percentage every 60 mils or so and the best
      was the first at just under 80%. The rest were lower, dropping
      proportionally throughout the run even though the head temp was still
      around 80 degrees for most of the run. I thought with the head temp
      around there I should be looking at about 90%. What am I not
      understanding correctly??

      Thanks in advance

      Confused.
    • Dene Oehme
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
        > If you cut off the amount you take off you force it
        > back down the reflux column allowing it to redistillate
        > and hence become more pure.

        Makes sense but what about the pressure build up in the boiler and
        column? This thing is by no means a "pressure vessel" and would
        quickly come apart at the seams even under relatively low pressure.

        Dene
      • Brian Rowe
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
          In my very limited experience looking at the pic of your still you have no
          control over the amount of distillate that you are taking off.
          I'd say you need some way of controlling how much you take off. The most
          basic is a ball valve but its pretty hit and miss. With a needle valve you
          get more accuracy.
          If you cut off the amount you take off you force it back down the reflux
          column allowing it to redistillate and hence become more pure. You should
          also find that as the % becomes higher the head temp will drop. If you
          restrict output entirely allowing total reflux the the head temp should
          settle at a temp about 78 - 78.5.

          > > > Fill the column entirely with scrubbers,
          > > > Don't insulate the top part of the column.
          > > > Don't try to control the boiling temperature of the wash.
          > >
          > > Thanks Dirk - Giving it all a try now. Will let you know
          > > how it goes. I've also lengthened my column to just
          > > under 1 metre.
          >
          > Ok.....New Question...... I've just run the still with the
          > improvements Dirk suggested and the longer fully packed column. It
          > ran with a head temp at around 79 - 80oC for most of the run,
          > increasing gradually towards the end but never over 88 or so. How
          > come I still got a distilate of only 50% average?
          >
          > I was measuring alcohol percentage every 60 mils or so and the best
          > was the first at just under 80%. The rest were lower, dropping
          > proportionally throughout the run even though the head temp was still
          > around 80 degrees for most of the run. I thought with the head temp
          > around there I should be looking at about 90%. What am I not
          > understanding correctly??
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > Confused.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Brian Rowe
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
            Good point !!!
            Thank god you didn't follow my advice.
            Ok more lateral thinking needed.
            > > If you cut off the amount you take off you force it
            > > back down the reflux column allowing it to redistillate
            > > and hence become more pure.
            >
            > Makes sense but what about the pressure build up in the boiler and
            > column? This thing is by no means a "pressure vessel" and would
            > quickly come apart at the seams even under relatively low pressure.
            >
            > Dene
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • peter_vcb
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
              only 50%?? are you sure of this. try putting your alcoholometer in
              some water to see if it is reading ok, then try it in some commercial
              spirits (without sugar). does it taste like 50%. my old column was
              only 680mm packed and i easily got 92% from it (with reflux). how
              many ml/min are you collecting at. with a 1m column and a variable
              power contol you should be in the 90's even with no forced reflux. if
              you turn down the power enough the vapour will travel slowly up the
              column leading to more time for separation and if the power is low
              enough it will have sufficient internal reflux for a pure distillate.
              try aiming for about 10 or 20ml/min i.e. about 1 or 2 700ml bottles
              per hour. you mention diluting distillate back down to 10% leaving it
              strong will obviously give you a stonger output, the main reason for
              diluting back down is just to ensure your elements will still be
              covered in liquid when you are coming near the end of a run, you have
              no reason to dilute it back down since you have no elements. try
              blowing through your column to see if it is packed too tightly. also
              how are you measuring the percentage of such small amounts?

              --- In new_distillers@y..., "Dene Oehme" <waterline@o...> wrote:
              > --- In new_distillers@y..., "Dene Oehme" <waterline@o...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi Dene,
              > > > Just some loose ideas...
              > > > Fill the column entirely with scrubbers,
              > > > Don't insulate the top part of the column.
              > > > Don't try to control the boiling temperature of the wash.
              > >
              > > Thanks Dirk - Giving it all a try now. Will let you know
              > > how it goes. I've also lengthened my column to just
              > > under 1 metre.
              >
              > Ok.....New Question...... I've just run the still with the
              > improvements Dirk suggested and the longer fully packed column. It
              > ran with a head temp at around 79 - 80oC for most of the run,
              > increasing gradually towards the end but never over 88 or so. How
              > come I still got a distilate of only 50% average?
              >
              > I was measuring alcohol percentage every 60 mils or so and the best
              > was the first at just under 80%. The rest were lower, dropping
              > proportionally throughout the run even though the head temp was
              still
              > around 80 degrees for most of the run. I thought with the head
              temp
              > around there I should be looking at about 90%. What am I not
              > understanding correctly??
              >
              > Thanks in advance
              >
              > Confused.
            • homedistiller
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                Dene,

                How much distillate did you collect ?
                You have a very small boiler. A 4 liter wash at 10% will give you
                only 0.4 liter 80% (= what you measured). And for you, this is a
                theoretical, since there isn't much to control the reflux in your
                column. Towards the end of the distillation you need much increased
                reflux to get some purity. As Peter advises, trim the heat input to
                the very minimum when you have a boil. This will give the highest
                natural reflux possible with your set-up. And indeed when you
                redistill,there is no need to dilute the distillate: it makes you
                just run in circles.

                See also Tony's site:
                http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm#collect
                http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm#strong

                Greetings,
                Dirk

                > Ok.....New Question...... I've just run the still with the
                > improvements Dirk suggested and the longer fully packed column. It
                > ran with a head temp at around 79 - 80oC for most of the run,
                > increasing gradually towards the end but never over 88 or so. How
                > come I still got a distilate of only 50% average?
                >
                > I was measuring alcohol percentage every 60 mils or so and the best
                > was the first at just under 80%. The rest were lower, dropping
                > proportionally throughout the run even though the head temp was
                still
                > around 80 degrees for most of the run. I thought with the head
                temp
                > around there I should be looking at about 90%. What am I not
                > understanding correctly??
                >
                > Thanks in advance
                >
                > Confused.
              • Dene Oehme
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                  Thanks for the response Peter,

                  Alcometer reads zero in water - heven't got anything to check the top
                  end with. With my limited experience it does taste like 50%

                  > if the power is low enough it will have sufficient
                  > internal reflux for a pure distillate.

                  That's what I was hoping.

                  I'm collecting at under 10ml/minute. Haven't worked it out exactly.

                  The main reason I diluted my already collected alcohol down to 10%
                  for these test runs is becasue I'm guessing that's about the strength
                  of wash I'll be using once I distill some real stuff. Basically I
                  wanted the still to run as close to what it will with a real wash.

                  > try blowing through your column to see if it is packed
                  > too tightly.

                  I do that each time I assemble the column and it's always flowed fine.

                  > how are you measuring the percentage of such small amounts?

                  I put the alcometer in a test tube, hold the test tube under the
                  condenser outlet with a magic arm, once I collect enough to get a
                  reading I note it and tip the contents of the test tube into a jar
                  then start refilling the test tube again. Time consuming and tedious
                  but accurate I suspect.
                • Dene Oehme
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                    Thanks again Dirk,

                    > How much distillate did you collect ?

                    About 400ml at an average of 50%. I could have gone longer and got
                    more out of it but when it got to producing at about 15%, I stopped it
                    for the day.

                    > And indeed when you redistill,there is no need to dilute the
                    > distillate: it makes you just run in circles.

                    Yea, I realise that in the real world, if I'm after best product, I
                    wouldn't do that but as I explained to Peter, I'm assuming that when I
                    do a run with a real wash I'll be starting with something at about 10%
                    so I wanted to simulate that situation.

                    > http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm#strong

                    I've been going by that graph for my assumptions regarding strength.
                    That's why I raised the question earlier about why with a head temp of
                    80 degrees am I still only getting 50% alcohol output.

                    Regards

                    Dene
                  • peter_vcb
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                      the theory and temps you say all add up to you having good distillate
                      especially running under 10ml/min even with no forced reflux it
                      should be better. does the distillate taste nice? what is its smell
                      like?

                      more technical stuff to check.
                      1 is the thermometer accurate? try it in boiling water.
                      2 is the probe reading temperature in the right place in the column?
                      it should be ideally placed right where the take off tube is.
                      3 does the probe need a certain portion to be covered? many glass and
                      digital thermometers need a certain lenght to be exposed to the
                      temperature. many digital probes have their devices 1/3 the way up.
                      this can be checked by putting the tip in boiling water to see if you
                      get 100c
                      4 is there a possible hole in your condenser side letting water
                      trickle into your distillate. this can easily happen and is hard to
                      spot with a worm type condenser like yours. at such low take offs it
                      will add up even if it is just a few drops. try removing the worm
                      from the barrel, turn the still upside down and try to fill it
                      entirely with water to spot any leaks, plug up the outlet.
                      another way to check would be to accurately measure 1 litre of water
                      and distill it until the still is totally dry, then simply measure
                      what came out and see if it is over a litre

                      --- In new_distillers@y..., "Dene Oehme" <waterline@o...> wrote:
                      > Thanks again Dirk,
                      >
                      > > How much distillate did you collect ?
                      >
                      > About 400ml at an average of 50%. I could have gone longer and got
                      > more out of it but when it got to producing at about 15%, I stopped
                      it
                      > for the day.
                      >
                      > > And indeed when you redistill,there is no need to dilute the
                      > > distillate: it makes you just run in circles.
                      >
                      > Yea, I realise that in the real world, if I'm after best product, I
                      > wouldn't do that but as I explained to Peter, I'm assuming that
                      when I
                      > do a run with a real wash I'll be starting with something at about
                      10%
                      > so I wanted to simulate that situation.
                      >
                      > > http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm#strong
                      >
                      > I've been going by that graph for my assumptions regarding
                      strength.
                      > That's why I raised the question earlier about why with a head temp
                      of
                      > 80 degrees am I still only getting 50% alcohol output.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      >
                      > Dene
                    • John Vandermeulen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                        1) Alcoholmeter - you can check higher alcohol ranges by dropping the
                        alcoholmeter into a bottle of wine, and into a bottle of vodka. The latter
                        should give you a credible reading for 42%abv.
                        2) Leaky condenser - that suggestion is a good one. Try turning on the
                        condenser water lines, without any heat. Can you isolate the condenser? And
                        watch for water coming from the drain spout. (Which it should not.)
                        John
                      • BOKAKOB
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002

                          It appears that your heat power is too high. try running the still with a spacers between the hot plate and the pot. you may want to use machine nuts. if it works out then you will have to think how to control input power for your heating element. i am so happy i use natural gas.

                           deno752002 <waterline@...> wrote:

                          I've given my new still a few more runs.  I am finding it difficult if
                          not impossible to get the still to run with the column head
                          temperature below 90 degrees C.

                          On the last run it stayed at about 93 degrees pretty well the whole
                          time untill the run was finished and I wound up with distilate at
                          55% which matches Tony's graph for vapour alcohol content.

                          I want to get the percentage in the distillate up a bit - more
                          like an easily achievable 80% for which I would need a column head
                          vapour temp of about the mid 80s.  (Am I basiccally correct
                          here??)

                          At the moment my column is 2" by 2 feet high with scrubbers for 18
                          inches in it.  Would lengething the height of the column by 380mm (15
                          inches) and adding another foot or so of scrubbers allow it to run
                          with a cooler head vapour temp?

                          If not I might just have to make an internal reflux coil for it after
                          all.

                          Any suggestions most welcome.

                          There is a photo of the still in it's current form at;

                          http://www.oldengine.org/members/dene/still.htm

                          Thanks in advance
                          Dene
                          getctat the top of the column