Re: Pot Still

  • hayden_hewie
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      I'm no expert (having only done one run so far) but
      this is what I did. My project was to do it as cheap
      as possible - a free aluminium 5L flaggon for a boiler,
      $6.75 for about 2m of 12mm copper tube and an old bucket
      to put the cooling coil in.
      First simple brew with brown sugar and bakers
      yeast (both from the pantry on hand)and "sourced" some
      nutrients from work. Brewed up in 2 3L fruit juice
      bottles, just over 2l in each and ran them through the
      still one at a time. Ended up with nearly 700 ml of
      58 % ABV with a nice "fruity" nose. I had a
      vertical rise of about 15cm then into the lyne arm
      inclined about 30 degreesish for about 50cm before
      dropping way down into the coil in the bucket. Didn't
      have a thermometer so just had to go by taste and how
      easily the product burned in a teaspoon (my test of
      strength without a hydrometer.

      I believe the length and incline of the lyne arm produces an amount
      of reflux giving a better flavour and slightly higher %age. More
      trials to come.

      Hayden