Re: [new_distillers] Sugar Wash - Impatient??

  • Darryl Ward
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      There could be a number of factors involved

      1/ You have maintained a constant temperature, so that is not a factor.

      2/ I see you used a high alcohol wine yeast. I used these for many years
      without any problems.

      3/ Did you add sufficient nutrients for the yeast.("Turbo yeast" and some
      others already have this added?). Using distilled water for your wash can
      also cause this problem.

      4/ ph (acidity) may have been at fault. Ideally this should be between
      3.4 and 3.4

      5/ After it had started fermenting, did you add extra sugar or do
      anything else that would have caused a rapid change in conditions that could
      have caused "osmotic shock" to the yeast? Too much sugar to start with also
      causes this problem.

      6/ Very rarely a defective fermentation lock, (if you use them - I
      don't), can cause carbon dioxide to be retained and dissolved in the wash,
      inhibiting the action of the yeast.

      7/ If you used sulphite or another sterilsing agent to clean the
      equipment or sterilise the wash, and put the yeast in too soon, then this
      could have caused the yeast.

      These are the main causes of stuck fermentations. If everything seems in
      order, just add some more yeast. Otherwise, rectify the problem and then add
      more yeast.

      Good luck

      Darryl