potstill plans

  • james17982002
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
      does anyone have designs for potstills that i could use to make my
      own still for whiskey, rum,and poitin? also what would be the output
      of the different stills in terms of amount of spirit and quality?
      thanks james
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
        Hello James -
        1 kettle with lid, attach 6" piece of 1/2"-1" copper pipe as riser, go over
        to horizontal lyne arm (same diam., about 12-20" length), down to a condenser
        (either worm or jacketed). Presto.
        John V

        james17982002 wrote:

        > does anyone have designs for potstills that i could use to make my
        > own still for whiskey, rum,and poitin? also what would be the output
        > of the different stills in terms of amount of spirit and quality?
        > thanks james

      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002

          welcome - please see "Files" and "Photos" sections.

           james17982002 <james.oconnor3@...> wrote:

          does anyone have designs for potstills that i could use to make my
          own still for whiskey, rum,and poitin? also what would be the output
          of the different stills in terms of amount of spirit and quality?
                                  thanks    james

          I can be wrong I must say.
          Cheers, Alex...

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Chris Hopfe
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002

            I do not have any designs, but you may want to consider a reflux instead of a pot still. It is my belief that if your'e going to the trouble to build one you might as well build one worthy of your time and effort.

            >From: BOKAKOB
            >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] potstill plans
            >Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:55:57 -0800 (PST)
            >

            >welcome - please see "Files" and "Photos" sections.
            > james17982002 wrote:does anyone have designs for potstills that i could use to make my
            >own still for whiskey, rum,and poitin? also what would be the output
            >of the different stills in terms of amount of spirit and quality?
            > thanks james
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            >I can be wrong I must say.
            >Cheers, Alex...

            >New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo!

          • Aaron Pelly
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
              Light blue touch paper and stand well back...
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002

                Exactly, I don't know who put a stick up that guys butt.

                I've got a pot still with thumper and I'm very pleased with it. Ran a corn mash through it  this weekend, and produced a nice flavoured corn liquor at 83%ABV on a single run. I've got it diluted down to 120proof and sitting on oak right now, in a couple weeks I'll dilute it down to 100proof for drinking.

                IT is my belief that if you're going to be producing beverage alcohol you ought to do it the old fashioned, and in my opinion easier, way.

                The K.I.S.S. principle rules

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2002
                  hi James
                  if you want a pot still i would suggest getting a copper central
                  heating cylinder. you can pick up a brand new one from woodies for
                  between 80 and 160 euros. i think some are 200litres and as low as 60
                  litres. all of them have threaded holes already in them so you could
                  have proper connections easily set up with no need for welding or
                  silicon sealant. most whiskey potstillers would agree that a totally
                  copper still is ideal. they will also have fittings in the tank for
                  elements too. most whiskey makers would probably prefer an external
                  heated external heater, be it gas or electric. you can buy blank
                  plugs for extra holes, one of the holes could be used for a
                  thermometer. again all the tubing and connections ets can be got in
                  woodies or probably any plumbing/building supply centre like
                  chadwicks. if you are not a good at DIY i would suggest a worm
                  condenser for the still since a liebeg may need hard to get parts and
                  is difficult to make. better still find a plumber you know who will
                  keep quiet for a few bottles ;) get him to braze up the whole thing.
                  he could make a proper plumbed in liebeg too, he will get all the
                  materials cheaper than you can so his total cost including labour
                  could be well worth it. i would design it so you can add a reflux
                  column later on if you need it. there are plenty of photos for
                  reference on Tony's site

                  --- In new_distillers@y..., "james17982002" <james.oconnor3@n...>
                • Still - Cooker <stillcooker@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
                    You might have a look at:

                    www.stillcooker.servebeer.com

                    Cheers!
                    StillCooker - StillCooking....

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

                    > welcome - please see "Files" and "Photos" sections.
                    > james17982002 <james.oconnor3@n...> wrote:does anyone have designs
                    for potstills that i could use to make my
                    > own still for whiskey, rum,and poitin? also what would be the
                    output
                    > of the different stills in terms of amount of spirit and quality?
                    > thanks james
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Service.