Sugar Wash - Impatient??

  • Adrian Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi folks,
      I started a sugar wash off over 2
      weeks ago and it had a starting gravity of 1110
      at the moment it has fermented out to 1055. The
      fermentation was rapid at first but has now
      slowed down somewhat. It's gone from 1060 to 1055
      in about two days. Is there any way to speed
      things up or do I need to be patient. I've used
      standard high alcohol wine yeast and an aquarium
      heater to keep it at a constant 26 degrees
      centigrade.

      Cheers.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • Darryl Ward
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
        There could be a number of factors involved

        1/ You have maintained a constant temperature, so that is not a factor.

        2/ I see you used a high alcohol wine yeast. I used these for many years
        without any problems.

        3/ Did you add sufficient nutrients for the yeast.("Turbo yeast" and some
        others already have this added?). Using distilled water for your wash can
        also cause this problem.

        4/ ph (acidity) may have been at fault. Ideally this should be between
        3.4 and 3.4

        5/ After it had started fermenting, did you add extra sugar or do
        anything else that would have caused a rapid change in conditions that could
        have caused "osmotic shock" to the yeast? Too much sugar to start with also
        causes this problem.

        6/ Very rarely a defective fermentation lock, (if you use them - I
        don't), can cause carbon dioxide to be retained and dissolved in the wash,
        inhibiting the action of the yeast.

        7/ If you used sulphite or another sterilsing agent to clean the
        equipment or sterilise the wash, and put the yeast in too soon, then this
        could have caused the yeast.

        These are the main causes of stuck fermentations. If everything seems in
        order, just add some more yeast. Otherwise, rectify the problem and then add
        more yeast.

        Good luck

        Darryl