new still cummin'...Debbie

  • Jacques La Marr
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2000
      I've got a new, 100 year old, all copper pot still on the wings. Well,
      actually I almost got it...I just bought it and have to pick it up.

      It starts with a 5-gallon copper boiler with a nice swan's neck, then
      feeds into a copper slobber box with a drain cock and then into a copper
      worm enclosed in a galvanized container. Although well used, it appears
      to have been well maintained and in great shape, shows quality and
      experianced construction, and is a very pretty, classic design...you
      could set it up in the parlor and it would definately make a wonderful
      fashion statement.

      I will post pics when I actually have it in possession.

      I do have some question as to the need/purpose for the slobber box. I
      sent a diagram some time ago for a unit that incorporated a "thump" keg
      which I know has had some "discussion" in the past, but this "in-line"
      unit looks really kewl, looks well thought out and must have served some
      positive purpose. At the least, since this still is ready to use, albeit
      needing mash and fire, it can't hurt.

      Now, all I need to do is decide on what to run through it. I am sort of
      partial to fruit concoctions like schlivawitz, schnaaps and apple
      jack...but since this is not the season for fruit, maybe just some
      simple corn just to get this contraption hummin' an' used to its new
      home.

      ...and then, what about wooden kegs for some "aging"...is that in order?
      I know, I won't be able to keep all my product for such a period of time
      to age (gulp gulp), but would like to at least make an attempt to hold
      off on some...for medicinal reasons...yeh, that's the ticket.

      Alos, what to fire the unit with...how about a Columbian cooker like
      home-brewers use...are they controllable and hot enough?

      I think there is a qualified "potter" named Debbie on the list who might
      be able to get me on the right track. Want to share a recipe??? Us on
      the "top side" need to stick together if for no other reason than for
      keeping the tradition and method of our 'merican heritage goin'.

      Mark