can i age poitin

  • james17982002
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2002
      hi everyone, after reading tony acklands site i found out that it is
      best to drink poitin young and white. but has anyone tried to age it
      and has it benefited the final product in the end? also what did you
      age it in ( oak chips etc....). as i am here can anyone tell me where
      i can get yeasts suitable for making spirits in the british isles?
      thanks again
      james
    • peter_vcb
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2002
        hi James,
        there are many recipies for poitin. i think aging it would be better.
        i would separate it into many bottles and age with varying amounts of
        oak and mixtures of toasted oak, label them as to what is in them and
        find out which one i like best, keep some unaged too and see how it
        compares. have you ever brewed or distilled before? doing that oat
        poitin recipie on Tonys site is a lot more effort than a sugar wash,
        they warn about stickiness too. if you are after a tasty potstill
        distillate rather than vodka i would recommend buying a cheap wine
        kit and making brandy or just brewing straight malt extract
        (unhopped) or making rum with brown sugar. i get my yeast from gert
        strands site in sweden. it is only worth getting large amounts at a
        time due to postal costs. i could sell you some if you are near me or
        i could post it. i only have turbos which are not suitable for
        whiskey/poitin. this guy is an agent for gert strand in england. he
        doesnt accept credit cards though, you must get sterling drafts.
        resmart1000 @ netscapeonline.co.uk (note there are no spaces before
        and after the @) otherwise you can get yeast in some health food
        shops who sell brew kits. look in the yellow pages under home brew.

        good luck

        Peter

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "james17982002" <james.oconnor3@n...>
        wrote:
        > hi everyone, after reading tony acklands site i found out that it
        is
        > best to drink poitin young and white. but has anyone tried to age
        it
        > and has it benefited the final product in the end? also what did
        you
        > age it in ( oak chips etc....). as i am here can anyone tell me
        where
        > i can get yeasts suitable for making spirits in the british isles?
        > thanks again
        > james
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
          Age poitin and you get Irish whiskey.
          Irish whiskey is aged in ex-sherry barrels from Spain. These were
          made from European oak once but now American oak is used. Soak oak
          chips in an oloroso sherry to imitate the process. About 5 g/l of
          chips would be suitable. Use your taste to determine length of time.
          Beer yeasts are suitable for grain based spirits like poitin and
          whisky. Mashes rarely exceeded 8%abv.
          Wal