Re: 2nd Carbon Question

  • pocoian2000
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002
      Because I have a lifetime supply of food grade activated carbon
      (aquired from the City of Victoria's water purification system) I am
      very generous with it. I add at least 5 tablespoons per gallon. Even
      though I have a large supply - I still reconstitute the used stuff.
      After all, I am a thrifty Scotsman. I only shake the jugs about once
      a day, and sometimes forget to do it at all. Just sitting on the
      carbon seems to make a trememdous difference.

      --- In new_distillers@y..., "travellerwiz" <travellerw@u...> wrote:
      > Ok by the responses so far it looks like not many people are using
      > the Tube filter method. In that case I would love to know how much
      > carbon you are using per 750ml bottle and how long you leave it in
      > for.
      >
      > I have been just guessing at the ammount and leaving it for a week
      or
      > so. Although I do shake the bottles between 7 and 10 times a day.
      My
      > results have been pretty good so far..
    • pocoian2000
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002
        As an afterthought - I add the carbon to spirit that has only been
        watered down to 50 -60% - even though most others water down to 40%.
        There is method in my madness - when I drain the carbon using a large
        funnel and coffee filters - I flush the carbon with a cup or so of
        purified water - and bingo - my spirit is diluted to very close to a
        strengh where you can drink it comfortably.

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "Mike Nixon" <mike@s...> wrote:
        > travellerwiz wrote:
        > Subject: [new_distillers] 2nd Carbon Question
        >
        > Ok by the responses so far it looks like not many people are using
        the Tube filter method. In that case I would love to know how much
        carbon you are using per 750ml bottle and how long you leave it in
        for.

        > I have been just guessing at the ammount and leaving it for a week
        or so. Although I do shake the bottles between 7 and 10 times a day.
        My results have been pretty good so far..
        > =======================
        > Good to hear that you have been having success. Opinions differ
        about this, but I personally dilute to around 40% using distilled
        water (we get nicely oxygenated stuff from our supplier that doesn't
        taste 'flat') and use about 2 tablespoons of carbon per 750ml. I
        say 'about' as I don't measure it ... I just put in my standard stock
        of two bottle-worths of carbon into a mason jar and top up.

        > Shaking the bottles between 7 to 10 times a day is probably not
        necessary. A couple of times a day for the first 3 or 4 days is
        usually enough, and you will find that most of the work has been done
        by then. Leaving the liquid on the carbon for longer periods doesn't
        do any harm though, and may give that extra 'polish'.

        > Don't forget to filter well after carbon treatment. It makes all
        the difference if you get rid of all the microscopic particles of
        congener laden dust that you will be bound to have.

        > Good luck!
        > Mike N
      • travellerwiz
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002
          Wow I wished I could have a lifetime supply of actived carbon.. The
          stuff is expensive here in Canada. About $13.00 per 1.7L. As to
          shaking the bottles, I thought I was doing it too much. Oh well next
          time only once a day.

          Now I notice that the Carbon doesn't take away all of the smell. It
          really makes it taste better but there is still a lingering sweat
          moonshine smell. It may be that I made a mistake during my last run
          and caught a little more of the tails than I should have. Next time I
          will watch my temps more closely during the end of the run and try to
          cut it off the second the temp starts to rise.

          Anyway thanks for the info

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002
            Good idea... Being a cheap Ukranian it makes me sad to through out
            carbon with good alcohol in it!!

          • John Vandermeulen
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002
              Hi travellerwiz,
              However many times you shake the jar with carbon-distillate is entirely up to
              you. There is no set number. Obviously the idea is to have the distillate
              in continuous contact with carbon, so a swirl now and again ensures that
              happening.
              As for lingering smells - maybe your carbon has been re-used too much, and is
              due for re-activating. Spread it out on some aluminum foil on a metal
              cookie-sheet, allow to air-dry overnight, and then bake at 450o or higher for
              an hour or so.

              As for ending the run sooner - I am just now running a Turbo-wash through my
              reflux column. I collect everything from around 78oC down to around 60%abv;
              everything below that goes into the feints-jar.
              As I make gin with botanicals (within the column) I then re-distil the first
              lot, and collect down to 70%abv as gin. I do continue collecting everything
              beyond 70%abv , but that also goes into the feints jar as before.
              John

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002
                Hmmm interesting.. I have tried 3 different brands of carbon and they
                were all new. None of them were able to completely get rid of that
                smell.. I do have some high quality stuff comming from brewhaus, so
                maybe I will give that a try.

                As to cutting off. The reason that I supsect I collected to much
                tails is that the distalate didn't really have a smell until I shut
                the still off. I like to stick my nose near the jar during the
                process and take a big wiff. I don't know why, it just feels good. It
                wasn't till I noticed the higher temperature and shut the still off
                that the smell was there.

                Ahh well I will try shutting down earlier next time and using high
                quality carbon. We will see if that makes a difference. I will have
                my next batch ready to go by the weekend.

                --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002
                  > As to cutting off. The reason that I supsect I collected to much
                  > tails is that the distalate didn't really have a smell until I shut
                  > the still off. I like to stick my nose near the jar during the
                  > process and take a big wiff. I don't know why, it just feels good. It
                  > wasn't till I noticed the higher temperature and shut the still off
                  > that the smell was there.

                  Maybe sniffing the whole jar is too dilute / not representative of whats coming out at that point in time ? What I do is catch a couple of drops over the back of a spoon, and then sniff that (thin layer, warm).

                  Tony
                • travellerwiz
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002
                    I like to test it like I would a store bought bottle of vodka.. I
                    sniff the whole bottle.. My distilled stuff has a slight moonshine
                    smell.. Don't get me wrong, it tastes fine. I'm just being a
                    perfectionist!!

                    --- In new_distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
                    <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
                    > > As to cutting off. The reason that I supsect I collected to much
                    > > tails is that the distalate didn't really have a smell until I
                    shut
                    > > the still off. I like to stick my nose near the jar during the
                    > > process and take a big wiff. I don't know why, it just feels
                    good. It
                    > > wasn't till I noticed the higher temperature and shut the still
                    off
                    > > that the smell was there.
                    >
                    > Maybe sniffing the whole jar is too dilute / not representative of
                    whats coming out at that point in time ? What I do is catch a couple
                    of drops over the back of a spoon, and then sniff that (thin layer,
                    warm).

                    > Tony
                  • BOKAKOB
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002

                      to help you I tell ou my ways. I collect only middle third from any run. the first third and the last one goes to the next run. when I am done with collecting middle third I add it to my "second run" jar -- of course distill it again. first and last thirds go to the "second run" jar. the rest is 95% pure no smell, none at all. it only hits me in the nose with alcohol vapors when I try to smell it. i dont polish, dont filter, do nothing but use it. i CAN NOT understand why everyone is talking carbon-filtering, filtering-carbon, etc. etc. please help me on understanding it.

                      wrote:
> [...]
                      > > will watch my temps more closely during the end of the run and
                      try to
                      > > cut it off the second the temp starts to rise.
                      > >
                      > > Anyway thanks for the info
                      > >
                      > > --- In new_distillers@y..., "pocoian2000" <ianelamacsween@s...>
                      wrote:
                      > > > Because I have a lifetime supply of food grade activated carbon
                      > > > (aquired from the City of Victoria's water purification system)
                      > > am
                      > > > very generous with it.  I add at least 5 tablespoons per gallon.
                      > > Even
                      > > > though I have a large supply - I still reconstitute the used
                      stuff.
                      > > > After all, I am a thrifty Scotsman.  I only shake the jugs about
                      > > once
                      > > > a day, and sometimes forget to do it at all. Just sitting on the
                      > > > carbon seems to make a trememdous difference.

                      I can be wrong I must say.
                      Cheers, Alex...

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • travellerwiz
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 28, 2002
                        Maybe I just don't have your touch... Mine has a little bit of an off
                        smell and taste.. That's why I'm trying to get rid of it with Carbon.
                        Since this is only my third time distilling I think it is because I
                        don't have the experience.

                        I like your idea except that I wouldn't want to wait around so long
                        for the distilation. By my calculations you should get 1.5L of
                        drinkable alcohol on your first pass. Then everything else has to go
                        back in and be redistilled. Seems like a lot of waiting for me.. Ahh
                        patients is such a virtue..

                        --- In new_distillers@y..., BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > >
                        > > > Wow I wished I could have a lifetime supply of actived carbon..
                        > The
                        > > > stuff is expensive here in Canada. About $13.00 per 1.7L. As to
                        > > > shaking the bottles, I thought I was doing it too much. Oh well
                        > next
                        > > > time only once a day.
                        > > >
                        > > > Now I notice that the Carbon doesn't take away all of the
                        smell.
                        > It
                        > > > really makes it taste better but there is still a lingering
                        sweat
                        > > > moonshine smell. It may be that I made a mistake during my last
                        > run
                        > > > and caught a little more of the tails than I should have. Next
                        > time I
                        > > > will watch my temps more closely during the end of the run and
                        > try to
                        > > > cut it off the second the temp starts to rise.

                        Service.

                        > I can be wrong I must say.
                        > Cheers, Alex...

                      • John Vandermeulen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 29, 2002
                          Hello travellerwiz,
                          I well remember the smell of my first neutral spirits - always a strong hint
                          of something else in there besides alcohol. Until I began double-distilling
                          - which you can do with a reflux column as well as with a potstill column.
                          Here is what I do, for pure alcohol.

                          1. I distill in my reflux column a 20-22L batch of Turbo-sugar; I collect
                          everything between 78oC (ca. 95%abv) down to 60%abv. (Incidentally, with a
                          sugar-wash there is no need to dump out the methanol/foreshot, as no methanol
                          is produced from sugar.) The yield is around 4 1/4 qts.
                          2. I then distill down any stored-up feints, old wine, left-overs and tails
                          of corn and malt, etc. I dump foreshots, and collect from 95%abv down to
                          around 60%abv. On average I get 1-2 qts.
                          3. I prepare my gin botanicals, and load them into the column. Then I run
                          the product from 1) and 2) above - around 4-6qts. I also add 2-3 qts of
                          water so that the kettle won't run dry. This time I narrow the middle cut,
                          by collecting from 95%abv down to 80%abv. This is my gin. I may go down to
                          70%abv, if it tastes fine; however, I want to avoid getting any tails into
                          my middle cut as I then run the risk of having my gin become cloudy.

                          I do collect everything beyond 80%abv, which all goes into the feints/tails
                          jars.

                          I could probably run everything through the reflux/botanicals the first time
                          through but by double distilling you can achieve a narrower cut, i.e. a purer
                          vodka, and still have some volume.

                          The other advantage of my way is that my final product is not only
                          sugar-based alcohol, which is 'one-dimensional' and tends to be sharper in
                          taste. I try to include as much of grain-based alcohol as possible, as it
                          gives a mellower taste.

                          I hope this helps
                          John V
                        • travellerwiz
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 29, 2002
                            Wow that was some good information. The only problem I have is time.
                            Unfortunately my still takes about 14 hours to do a 20L wash
                            (270ml/hour). If I used your method than it would take me about 24
                            hours of distilling time to get a finished product.

                            Now I'm hoping to increase the capacity of my still by insulating the
                            tower as well as the kettle. Also I'm going to go from a 1000W burner
                            to a 1500W burner. With my still being uninsulated I find it really
                            hard to control the reflux. Basically I have the water barely
                            flowing, just enough to cool the condenser. If I turn the water up
                            just a tiny bit then my still will go into full reflux and I won't
                            get anything. I think my tower (1 meter in length) is acting as a
                            condenser on its own. If my modifications are as successful as I
                            think they will be, then I should be able to increase my output to
                            about 600ml/hour and still have good control over the reflux.

                            I will let you know how it works. If it does than I will surely give
                            your method a try. Thanks for the great information.

                            TW

                            wrote:
                            > Hello travellerwiz,
                            > I well remember the smell of my first neutral spirits - always a
                            strong hint
                            > of something else in there besides alcohol. Until I began double-
                            distilling
                            > - which you can do with a reflux column as well as with a potstill
                            column.
                            > Here is what I do, for pure alcohol.
                            >
                            > 1. I distill in my reflux column a 20-22L batch of Turbo-sugar; I
                            collect
                            > everything between 78oC (ca. 95%abv) down to 60%abv.
                            (Incidentally, with a
                            > sugar-wash there is no need to dump out the methanol/foreshot, as
                            no methanol
                            > is produced from sugar.) The yield is around 4 1/4 qts.
                            > 2. I then distill down any stored-up feints, old wine, left-overs
                            and tails
                            > of corn and malt, etc. I dump foreshots, and collect from 95%abv
                            down to
                            > around 60%abv. On average I get 1-2 qts.
                            > 3. I prepare my gin botanicals, and load them into the column.
                            Then I run
                            > the product from 1) and 2) above - around 4-6qts. I also add 2-3
                            qts of
                            > water so that the kettle won't run dry. This time I narrow the
                            middle cut,
                            > by collecting from 95%abv down to 80%abv. This is my gin. I may
                            go down to
                            > 70%abv, if it tastes fine; however, I want to avoid getting any
                            tails into
                            > my middle cut as I then run the risk of having my gin become cloudy.
                            >
                            > I do collect everything beyond 80%abv, which all goes into the
                            feints/tails
                            > jars.
                            >
                            > I could probably run everything through the reflux/botanicals the
                            first time
                            > through but by double distilling you can achieve a narrower cut,
                            i.e. a purer
                            > vodka, and still have some volume.
                            >
                            > The other advantage of my way is that my final product is not only
                            > sugar-based alcohol, which is 'one-dimensional' and tends to be
                            sharper in
                            > taste. I try to include as much of grain-based alcohol as
                            possible, as it
                            > gives a mellower taste.
                            >
                            > I hope this helps
                            > John V
                          • John Vandermeulen
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 29, 2002
                              Hello again,
                              I expect that insulating the column and increasing your heat to 1500W will
                              shorten the heating time considerably. However, can you still keep the 1000W
                              elment in there, as you may find that you may want to throttle back on the
                              heat once the column is running.

                              My set-up as follows: 16L s.s. kettle, ~30" 2"diam column packed with 6 large
                              ss scrubbies, water-jacketed condenser. The column is insulated from bottom
                              to top - this is important as the vapours need to 'stack up' and separate in
                              the column, with the top being around 79-80oC.
                              The kettle is heated on a small 1,000watt hotplate.

                              For each run I fit folded thick towels around the kettle and on top of the
                              lid. I plan to replace the towelling with an equivalent out of fireproof
                              welding fabric/cloth. The combination of insulation and 1000W heat is enough
                              to heat the batch. As the column temp gets near the level that I expect I
                              remove the insulation from around the kettle, and have the water flow turned
                              on.

                              I normally run 10-12L at a time. Heating up takes about 1 hour to 1 1/2
                              hrs. The subsequent distillation time can be from 3hrs to 5hrs; for a total
                              of around 5 1/2 to 2 1/2 hrs for each 10-12L. Thus for a 20L Turbo-wash,
                              plus a run of feints/tails/remnants, plus a combined run with botanicals
                              takes four long afternoons.

                              The water flow through the condenser is very low, just enough to keep the
                              condenser cold.

                              Yield is 5 - 6 qts of 90-95%.

                              John

                            • travellerwiz
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 29, 2002
                                My setup is as follows.. 30L SS kettle, 90cm 2" diam column packed
                                with SS scrubbers and a water-jacketed condeser.. Currently I don't
                                have anything insulated. The 1000W burner is just a 2 burner
                                hotplate. I plan on replacing it with a single burner 1500W hotplate.
                                I should be able to "throttle back" using the adjustable temperature
                                setting on the hotplate.

                                My water flows goes through the column as well, with both pipes being
                                at the top. With the current setup I have either Distilling, or full
                                reflux. I'm hoping that the insulation on the column will allow me to
                                controll this more effectively.

                                I have one question though.. Why do you remove the insulation around
                                the kettle. The way I see it is if the kettle is insulated during the
                                whole process then it would take less heat/power to maintain
                                a "rolling boil". I have been looking at the hardware store and found
                                some high heat fiberglass insulation with a aluminum foil on one
                                side. I plan on making a "Bag" out of this and placing it over the
                                kettle during the process (Foil side out). I read your post about the
                                welders cloth and tried to reply. Welders cloth is not fire proof,
                                its just flame proof. This means that it will burn but won't catch
                                flame (Read Smolder) and stink like hell. Take it from me, I spent
                                four years welding and I remember the smell of burning coveralls well.
                                Anyway I just thought I would let you know..

                                TW

                                P.S. I have been toying with the idea of using a gas (Propane)
                                burner. My wife has allowed me to run my still in the kitchen, so I'm
                                never more than 20 feat from it. I think a gas burner would be able
                                to drop at least 30-40 min off the heat up time.

                                wrote:
> [...]
                                > > > 70%abv, if it tastes fine; however, I want to avoid getting any
                                > > tails into
                                > > > my middle cut as I then run the risk of having my gin become
                                cloudy.

                                > > > I do collect everything beyond 80%abv, which all goes into the
                                > > feints/tails
                                > > > jars.
                                > > >
                                > > > I could probably run everything through the reflux/botanicals
                                the
                                > > first time
                                > > > through but by double distilling you can achieve a narrower cut,
                                > > i.e. a purer
                                > > > vodka, and still have some volume.
                                > > >
                                > > > The other advantage of my way is that my final product is not
                                only
                                > > > sugar-based alcohol, which is 'one-dimensional' and tends to be
                                > > sharper in
                                > > > taste. I try to include as much of grain-based alcohol as

                              • motie_d
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 30, 2002
                                  --- In new_distillers@y..., BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

                                  > to help you I tell ou my ways. I collect only middle third from any
                                  run. the first third and the last one goes to the next run. when I am
                                  done with collecting middle third I add it to my "second run" jar --
                                  of course distill it again. first and last thirds go to the "second
                                  run" jar. the rest is 95% pure no smell, none at all. it only hits me
                                  in the nose with alcohol vapors when I try to smell it. i dont
                                  polish, dont filter, do nothing but use it. i CAN NOT understand why
                                  everyone is talking carbon-filtering, filtering-carbon, etc. etc.
                                  please help me on understanding it.

                                  That's the same as I do my potstill. Foreshots/heads and tails go to
                                  a re-run jar. The middle third goes into the drinkking jug. No
                                  Carbon, no dilution. It's just right as is.
                                  Different strokes I guess.
                                • travellerwiz
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
                                    Well I have finished insulating my column and kettle. Currently I'm
                                    in the process of redistilling my last batch following the directions
                                    given to me on this site. I took the first 300 ML and put it aside
                                    for redistilation later. It was noted that this had some "Moonshine"
                                    smell. Then I began collecting the drinkable alcohol next, it was
                                    noted that this had no smell at all. I'm very pleased with these
                                    results. I thought I would never achieve a clean pure spirit. I was
                                    starting to wonder if you guys were just immune to the smell and
                                    didn't notice it anymore.

                                    As a side note.. Boy did insulating help.. I've increased my output
                                    from 270 ML/Hour (95%) to about 600-650 ML/Hour (95%). My heat up
                                    time has dropped to about 55 min (without increasing the wattage on
                                    the element). Finally I can control the amount of reflux going on in
                                    my column and the water actually comes out warm. What would I have
                                    done if I didn't find this site??? Thanks guys, you have been a great
                                    help..

                                    TW