Re: A question about Carbon

  • travellerwiz
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 27, 2002
      I completely agree with you... Unfortunately for some of us obtaining
      Carbon can be difficult. I was willing to accept the risks of using a
      pet store brand. I recommend that anyone else thinking of using it
      should take those risks into consideration. Also I boiled mine 4
      times before using it in alcohol. Not sure if it helped but it made
      me feel better!!

      --- In new_distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
      <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
      > > If pet store carbon wasn't of good quality it would
      > > change the PH of the water and the fish would die.
      >
      > The concern with carbon from an unknown source is how well it will
      perform in the job expected of it. Our risk is that we're using
      alcohol (an excellent solvent of many things), where the carbon has
      been sold to only be in use with water. Sure - a fishtank may not
      notice any differnce between the different sources or manufacturing
      methods, but is it possible that when adding a solvent like alcohol
      we may liberate some other species that would normally be locked
      away ?

      > At least with carbon sold through a homebrew/distilling supplier,
      you know that its been tested and approved as safe when used with
      alcohol. You dont have that same assurance from other sources.