First Wash Questions

  • pleasinsqueezin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 2002
      Hi all,

      I an a newbie and just started my first wash. I'm going for 20% with
      Alltech Superstart Yeast

      Everything looked OK when I started. I aerated the wash well and
      started my teast for ~1hour. Fermenting at 22C.
      After 16 hours I had not seen any activity in the airlock. I removed
      the lid and little small bubbles were breaking the surface - but no
      foam. I started stirring the wash to put the yeast in suspension and
      the whole thing foamed over the top of my bucket in less than 5
      seconds.
      Is this good even though there is no visible activity in the airlock?
      Is this normal for a proper wash?

      I appreciate any help and feedback you guys can give.

      Best regards,

      Pleasinsqueezin
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 27, 2002

        Yes, it is normal. It is normal not to have any foam on sugar washes. The best way to determine if the wash is still fermenting is to listen to it. If you hear a faint sound resembling the noise of soda bubbling, then it is still fermenting. If it has been quiet for a while then there is a good chance it is over. Another symptom of finished wash is if it starts clearing or become less milky. In your case 16 hours seems a little short. As you mentioned �little bubbles breaking the surface� it appears that your wash was still fermenting. The best way to test it is to see how much sugar is left in the wash. If you don�t have hydrometer then just taste it. Finished wash should not have even a slightest hint of sugar in it � rather �a taste of dryness.� If it is still �somewhat� sweet and there are bubbles coming to the surface then the wash is still fermenting. In my case it takes about 5-6 days with recommended amount of yeast. If I want to save a little I use about half of the yeast and wait twice as long. BTW if your wash spilled over it means that you did not have enough space left to the top of the fomenter. Next time leave a little more. Good luck.

         pleasinsqueezin <pleasinsqueezin@...> wrote:

        Hi all, I an a newbie and just started my first wash.  I'm going for 20% with Alltech Superstart Yeast everything looked OK when I started.  I aerated the Wash well and started my teast for ~1hour.  Fermenting at 22C. After 16 hours I had not seen any activity in the airlock.  I removed the lid and little small bubbles were breaking the surface - but no foam.  I started stirring the wash to put the yeast in uspension and the whole thing foamed over the top of my bucket in less than 5 seconds. Is this good even though there is no visible activity in the airlock?
        Is this normal for a proper wash?
        I appreciate any help and feedback you guys can give.
        Best regards, Pleasinsqueezin

        I can be wrong I must say.
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 27, 2002
          that sounds fine,
          it will take some time for pressure to build up enough inside the
          fermenter before it starts to bubble. dont open it again and give it
          a chance to build up a nice bit of CO2. if you have lots of water in
          your airlock it will take longer. if you can see and hear the brew
          bubbling away it is fine. i dont bother with airlocks anymore

          --- In new_distillers@y..., "pleasinsqueezin" <pleasinsqueezin@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I an a newbie and just started my first wash. I'm going for 20%
          with
          > Alltech Superstart Yeast
          >
          > Everything looked OK when I started. I aerated the wash well and
          > started my teast for ~1hour. Fermenting at 22C.
          > After 16 hours I had not seen any activity in the airlock. I
          removed
          > the lid and little small bubbles were breaking the surface - but no
          > foam. I started stirring the wash to put the yeast in suspension
          and
          > the whole thing foamed over the top of my bucket in less than 5
          > seconds.
          > Is this good even though there is no visible activity in the
          airlock?
          > Is this normal for a proper wash?
          >
          > I appreciate any help and feedback you guys can give.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Pleasinsqueezin
        • pleasinsqueezin
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
            Thanks to Bokakob and Peter for all their help.

            Regards,

            Pleasinsqueezin

            --- In new_distillers@y..., "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
            > that sounds fine,
            > it will take some time for pressure to build up enough inside the
            > fermenter before it starts to bubble. dont open it again and give
            it
            > a chance to build up a nice bit of CO2. if you have lots of water
            in
            > your airlock it will take longer. if you can see and hear the brew
            > bubbling away it is fine. i dont bother with airlocks anymore
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@y..., "pleasinsqueezin"
            <pleasinsqueezin@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I an a newbie and just started my first wash. I'm going for 20%
            > with
            > > Alltech Superstart Yeast
            > >
            > > Everything looked OK when I started. I aerated the wash well and
            > > started my teast for ~1hour. Fermenting at 22C.
            > > After 16 hours I had not seen any activity in the airlock. I
            > removed
            > > the lid and little small bubbles were breaking the surface - but
            no
            > > foam. I started stirring the wash to put the yeast in suspension
            > and
            > > the whole thing foamed over the top of my bucket in less than 5
            > > seconds.
            > > Is this good even though there is no visible activity in the
            > airlock?
            > > Is this normal for a proper wash?
            > >
            > > I appreciate any help and feedback you guys can give.
            > >
            > > Best regards,
            > >
            > > Pleasinsqueezin
          • pocoian2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
              Deceptive how active that yeast is - I have had it erupt on me as
              well. I now let it ferment actively in a primary fermentor(with lots
              of head space and tight fitting lid) - but no air lock. When I give
              a good stir it bubbles violently. After about 3 days I transfer the
              wash to a carboy with air lock and just "rock" the carboy to release
              the CO2. On one occasion I tested my luck by adding more sugar.
              When I stirred it - boy did I get a reaction - so jammed the air lock
              back in. It blew up and bounced off the ceiling and needless to say
              I had my precious wash blowing out the top of the carboy. We live
              and learn.
              wrote:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I an a newbie and just started my first wash. I'm going for 20%
              with
              > Alltech Superstart Yeast
              >
              > Everything looked OK when I started. I aerated the wash well and
              > started my teast for ~1hour. Fermenting at 22C.
              > After 16 hours I had not seen any activity in the airlock. I
              removed
              > the lid and little small bubbles were breaking the surface - but no
              > foam. I started stirring the wash to put the yeast in suspension
              and
              > the whole thing foamed over the top of my bucket in less than 5
              > seconds.
              > Is this good even though there is no visible activity in the
              airlock?
              > Is this normal for a proper wash?
              >
              > I appreciate any help and feedback you guys can give.
              >
              > Best regards,
              >
              > Pleasinsqueezin
            • John Vandermeulen
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
                Hello pleasinsqueezin,
                the too vigorous frothing over of your wash results from massive release of
                CO2, that sits dissolved in the wash, and comes from the sugar-alcohol
                conversion. Stirring the wash acts to release that unseen CO2 - so, the
                answer to your question is that "yes, it's good" although messy.
                .
                You will get the same instantaneous foaming if you were to pour some extra
                sugar into the wash. That sugar will act as fine nucleating points for the
                CO2 to stick onto, and then come out of solution - just as described by ian.
                John