Charcoal Filtering

  • Ross Brown
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 29, 2000
      Hi,
      Just read Tony's earlier post regarding charcoal filtering. As I said
      in a previous post I'm on my first fermentation. My first wash is
      dextrose and turbo yeast(extra), and at this stage I propose using a
      bourbon essence. Does this type of wash have a residual flavour after
      distillation, and is it necessary to charcoal filter it?

      Ross
    • Nolts1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 21 4:07 PM
        Can anyone explain the use of Primary Carbon? I see instructions on
        the use of High Activity and then Finishing Carbon but not Primary. I
        have see recipes that call for leaving the spirt on activated
        charcoal for up to six months but it did not specify what kind. Also
        does keeping the spirit on the High Activity Carbon for longer than
        24 hours produce a better product?

        Nolts
      • bob_the_borg
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 16, 2005
          I don't mean to double-post but I do have another question. I plan on
          trying to make a very pure vodka with my new toy.

          Is there a need to filter the final product through activated charcoal
          to remove any impurities?

          I was thinking about making a flow-through chamber with 2" PVC packed
          full of activated charcoal.
        • enibnikrib
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 16, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bob_the_borg"
            <bob_the_borg@y...> wrote:

            > I don't mean to double-post but I do have another question. I plan on
            > trying to make a very pure vodka with my new toy.
            >
            > Is there a need to filter the final product through activated charcoal
            > to remove any impurities?
            >
            > I was thinking about making a flow-through chamber with 2" PVC packed
            > full of activated charcoal.

            Hi
            Back in the 70s pvc was banned from using it for alcoholic
            containers.Try to use copper.
          • Tim
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 16, 2005
              if i may forward my opinion on the general consensus (sp?) of the group, filter no matter how pure a product you are getting from
              your toy 8-)

              _____

              I don't mean to double-post but I do have another question. I plan on
              trying to make a very pure vodka with my new toy.

              Is there a need to filter the final product through activated charcoal
              to remove any impurities?

              I was thinking about making a flow-through chamber with 2" PVC packed
              full of activated charcoal.

              FAQ and other information available at HYPERLINK "http://homedistiller.org"http://homedistiller.org

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              _____

            • bob_the_borg
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 17, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <bundy_rum98@h...> wrote:

                > if i may forward my opinion on the general consensus (sp?) of the
                group, filter no matter how pure a product you are getting from
                > your toy 8-)

                Thanks for the advice. Any tips on filter design? Someone posted
                earlier that it's not recommended to use PVC.

                I looked for activated charcoal in Home Depot last night with no luck.
                where can that usually be found?

                How often should I rinse or change out the charcoal?
              • Dean Thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 17, 2005
                  I usually just put 2 table spoons of carbon in the bottom of my bottles
                  with the alcohol strength at 50% and leave it there shaking occasionally
                  (when ever I think of it) until I'm ready to do something with it either
                  flavour or just drink, I get my the carbon from a homebrew supplier
                  because of convenience but I'm sure you can get it cheaper off the net.
                  Many people here use a cylinder set up with carbon in it and pass the
                  alcohol through it but that's to much fiddling around for me.
                  you need to get a copy of the E book "Activated carbon for the
                  purification of Alcohol" by Gert Strand From Memory it is free if
                  downloaded as a PDF.

                  Dean.

                  >Thanks for the advice. Any tips on filter design? Someone posted
                  >earlier that it's not recommended to use PVC.
                  >
                  >I looked for activated charcoal in Home Depot last night with no luck.
                  > where can that usually be found?
                  >
                  >How often should I rinse or change out the charcoal.

                • cheechz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 17, 2005
                    i thought a copper filter system would be better than PVC, but i
                    have had a horrible time with it. i think i'm gonna give up on that
                    altogether. i've had blue end-product. even if its not blue i get
                    a higher copper content that you can taste, and i verified with a
                    copper test kit. i cant afford to do it in stainless, so i'm either
                    gonna go with PVC filter or just 'dump it in the container' method.
                    you can get carbon online from homebrew shops.. i have a local
                    supplier that makes it for water filtration in 55 lb bags.

                    jared

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...>
                    wrote:

                    > I usually just put 2 table spoons of carbon in the bottom of my
                    bottles
                    > with the alcohol strength at 50% and leave it there shaking
                    occasionally
                    > (when ever I think of it) until I'm ready to do something with it
                    either
                    > flavour or just drink, I get my the carbon from a homebrew
                    supplier
                    > because of convenience but I'm sure you can get it cheaper off the
                    net.
                    > Many people here use a cylinder set up with carbon in it and pass
                    the
                    > alcohol through it but that's to much fiddling around for me.
                    > you need to get a copy of the E book "Activated carbon for the
                    > purification of Alcohol" by Gert Strand From Memory it is free if
                    > downloaded as a PDF.
                    >
                    > Dean.
                    >

                    > >Thanks for the advice. Any tips on filter design? Someone posted
                    > >earlier that it's not recommended to use PVC.
                    > >
                    > >I looked for activated charcoal in Home Depot last night with no
                    luck.
                    > > where can that usually be found?
                    > >
                    > >How often should I rinse or change out the charcoal.

                  • Brendan Keith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 17, 2005
                      Glass is your friend. If you can find tubing, heat the end with a torch and
                      it will shrink. Stuff a cotton ball down it then top up with carbon. Pour
                      distillate in slowly.

                      With a little care, you could cut the bottom off a wine bottle, invert it
                      and use as described. Some already do that with plastic Coke bottles.

                      --
                      Brendan Keith
                      bkeith@...

                    • vodkaman1976
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 23, 2008
                        So would the genaral concensus be to charcoal filter your vodka or
                        just cut it and be happy with it? Will you taste a dramatic difference
                        after filtration or is it just a scam to get you too buy a $30
                        filtration unit from the brewhaus. If it is worth doing is there any
                        way or plans to build a filtration unit yourself without spending that
                        much money?
                      • KM Services
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 23, 2008

                          No Scam Mate,

                          Stripping and controlled slow reflux distillation with fine cuts followed by carbon filtering is essential to making good Vodka (AKA Neutral Spirit). Carbon filtering will remove the last of the off tastes and smells and polish (Smoothen) your spirit. You can add Glycerin at the rate of around 10mls per litre to further smoothen and give a nice mouth feel. You can buy a “Z” filter set up here in NZ for $NZ39 (see my set up) http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EJHZSOFTuRuKSnVOo1kvM0Z9Xsz8SoNYXVqvgd0f9g4JIDIen1e1hTGoLHam-7MdKTjrec88elMFm0I9R2DdeY1Djy659HPbZA/Ken%20Mc./Z%20Filter.pdf

                          can be bought from these guys for about $US29 plus the lastest gear from NZ  http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BaderBrewandWine&Category_Code=1198

                          or get hold of Gert Strands EBook on carbon http://www.partyman.se/free_ebook.html

                          there are plans on funnel and pipe designs you can make from stuff lying around

                          Cheers

                          Ken Mc

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 23, 2008
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976"
                            <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

                            > So would the genaral concensus be to charcoal filter your vodka or
                            > just cut it and be happy with it? Will you taste a dramatic difference
                            > after filtration or is it just a scam to get you too buy a $30
                            > filtration unit from the brewhaus. If it is worth doing is there any
                            > way or plans to build a filtration unit yourself without spending that
                            > much money?

                            I agree with Ken on this, Carbon turns good spirits into better spirits.
                            I have used the stuff from Brewhaus but honestly The Aquarium
                            Pharmaceuticals stuff from Petco works just as good or better (no
                            offense Rick). I usually add a 1/4 cup per liter (of 50%) and let it
                            sit for a week and then filter it out or as I did this weekend Distill
                            it. You should also be paying attention to the Aeration
                            thread(Whiskey without Heads cut) on the Distillers list as well. I
                            honestly think that MAY help more than the Carbon. If you decide to
                            go with column style filtration The Z filter may be the way to go as a
                            copper tower would be costly to build.

                            Mason
                          • KM Services
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 23, 2008

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 24, 2008
                                Running your spirit through charcoal is a must, the improvement is
                                beyond belief. I have run some pretty ruff and foul spirit through my
                                system and produced a top notch product.

                                I use 3 water filter jugs with charcoal cartages that I got in
                                charity shops. I line them up and move the spirit down the line as
                                the jugs fill. The benefit of this system is you can sample the
                                spirit as you move it down the line.

                                From my sampling I would suggest that the cheapest commercial Vodka
                                past through one filter jug would be vastly improved, run it through
                                twice would be excellent.

                                The Pyro

                                <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

                                > So would the genaral concensus be to charcoal filter your vodka
                                or
                                > just cut it and be happy with it? Will you taste a dramatic
                                difference
                                > after filtration or is it just a scam to get you too buy a $30
                                > filtration unit from the brewhaus. If it is worth doing is there any
                                > way or plans to build a filtration unit yourself without spending
                                that
                                > much money?

                              • bbr772
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 24, 2008
                                  Could you possibly post photos or some other kind of outline? Or,
                                  did I miss one on hd.org or the forum?