reusing yeast

  • Thomas Hart
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2001
      I have to jump into this one with my two cents.

      I have been a commercial brewer for about nine years and have won numerous
      awards with the beer I produce. I say this not to boast, but because I
      regularly reuse yeast and don't have any problems related to this practice.

      Yeast is a mean little creature and if it is given half a chance it will
      dominate its environment, killing off other bacteria and such. I have found
      that the greatest enemy of a brewer is lag time, or in other words, a delay
      between the time yeast is pitched and when it is in full ferment. It is
      during this time that all of those little wild beast that we don't want to
      dominate do their work. Many of these produce off-flavors that can be
      detected in very small amounts. Every "honest" brewer I know admits there
      are some of these in their brew. The trick is pitching enough yeast to
      insure that the beasts you want (your yeast) takes over.

      I have found the problem often comes when people use too little yeast, don't
      build it up correctly or do not aerate their wort enough. Many fear they
      will contaminate their batch through aeration, I say, the benefits far out
      weigh the risks. So, use clean and sanitary procedures and don't worry
      about it. This is by far the practice of the vast majority of
      micro-breweries.

      Hope this helps.

      Peace- Tom
      the Stillpastor
    • vodkadaddy1950
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
        i was told at a home brewing shop that after you siphon off the
        mash....you can reuse the yeast at the bottom of your fermenting
        bucket....and just add more sugar water...has anyone ever heard of
        doing this....thanks scott from dallas
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkadaddy1950"
          <jscott315@c...> wrote:

          > i was told at a home brewing shop that after you siphon off the
          > mash....you can reuse the yeast at the bottom of your fermenting
          > bucket....and just add more sugar water...has anyone ever heard of
          > doing this....thanks scott from dallas

          There are many here who reuse yeast sludge. I'm sure they will advise
          their methods, do's & don'ts etc. If not, we do have archives. Look
          in the links, left of screen.

        • _{*L*}_
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
            I am doing it constantly with very good results. I use bulk EC-1118 and always get in the range 14% a.b.v. I don't care about pushing the yeast to their extremes. By the way, this stain clears the mash marvelously. After about three weeks the mash is not clear but crystaL clear. The slight thing to watch is to add some nutrients every time. In my case the added nutrients are molasses, about half-cup to one bag of sugar (5LB or 2.27 kg). Works like a charm every time.

            vodkadaddy1950 <jscott315@...> wrote:you can reuse the yeast at the bottom of your fermenting bucket....and just add more sugar water...has anyone ever heard of doing this....thanks scott from dall

            _{*L*}_
            http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
              If you go here http://archive.nnytech.net/ I reckon that you will find
              more about re-using yeast than you could ever hope for, plus a lot of
              answers that you don't have the questions for :) Archives are great
              reading blanikdog

              i was told at a home brewing shop that after you siphon off the
              mash....you can reuse the yeast at the bottom of your fermenting
              bucket....and just add more sugar water...has anyone ever heard of
              doing this....thanks scott from dallas

              Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china
              Organizational culture Culture change Organization culture

              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
              IRC server tessnet.cx

            • vodkadaddy1950
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                i am trying to use the sludge from the bottom of my last batch,
                instead of buying new yeast....but i cant get the fermenting
                started...can some one help me with what my problem may be....i was
                told to give the yeast some food such as molasses...if that is the
                problem ....how much molasses do i add to a 25 litre batch that is a
                sugar water recipe....and can i add it to the batch that has already
                been mixed...please help !!!!
                scott from dallas
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                  <jscott315@c...> wrote:

                  > i am trying to use the sludge from the bottom of my last batch,
                  > instead of buying new yeast....but i cant get the fermenting
                  > started...can some one help me with what my problem may be....i was
                  > told to give the yeast some food such as molasses...if that is the
                  > problem ....how much molasses do i add to a 25 litre batch that is a
                  > sugar water recipe....and can i add it to the batch that has already
                  > been mixed...please help !!!!
                  > scott from dallas

                  You need something in the order of 10 million healthy yeast cells per
                  mL of wash to start a good ferment. This usually requires growing
                  them up as starter cultures from sludge.

                  You really need to do a lot more study on reuse, yeast ranching and
                  the like, before you embark on this route. Just pitch your existing
                  wort with a fresh pack of turbo yeast for now, before it gets an
                  infection in it. While you're waiting for it to finish fermenting and
                  clearing (10 - 14 days), check ot this part of Tony's site as a
                  primer...
                  http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/HomedistillerMirror/Org/ferment
                  .htm#reuse

                  or TinyURL... http://tinyurl.com/b7u86

                • Dean Thomas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                    Alex uses about 1/2 a cup of molasses to a 2kg bag of sugar. My advice
                    would be to work out how much sugar you put in then add half a cup of
                    molasses for every 2 kg's. Personally I don't have any experience that's
                    why I directed you to Alex's message last night
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/17627 Give it a try
                    what have you got to loose.
                    Using sterile implements stir the wash as you add the molasses and when
                    your getting close to the amount of molasses you worked out start
                    measuring the specific gravity to make sure you don't add to much.

                    And hey if it doesn't work fresh sugar and yeast isn't that expensive,
                    Dean.

                    vodkadaddy1950 wrote:

                    >i am trying to use the sludge from the bottom of my last batch,
                    >instead of buying new yeast....but i cant get the fermenting
                    >started...can some one help me with what my problem may be....i was
                    >told to give the yeast some food such as molasses...if that is the
                    >problem ....how much molasses do i add to a 25 litre batch that is a
                    >sugar water recipe....and can i add it to the batch that has already
                    >been mixed...please help !!!!
                    >scott from dallas

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Dean Thomas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                      Forget what I said Listen to Harry he's the man.
                      Dean.

                      Harry wrote:

                      >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkadaddy1950"
                      ><jscott315@c...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>i am trying to use the sludge from the bottom of my last batch,
                      >>instead of buying new yeast....but i cant get the fermenting
                      >>started...can some one help me with what my problem may be....i was
                      >>told to give the yeast some food such as molasses...if that is the
                      >>problem ....how much molasses do i add to a 25 litre batch that is a
                      >>sugar water recipe....and can i add it to the batch that has already
                      >>been mixed...please help !!!!
                      >>scott from dallas
                      >>

                      >You need something in the order of 10 million healthy yeast cells per
                      >mL of wash to start a good ferment. This usually requires growing
                      >them up as starter cultures from sludge.
                      >
                      >You really need to do a lot more study on reuse, yeast ranching and
                      >the like, before you embark on this route. Just pitch your existing
                      >wort with a fresh pack of turbo yeast for now, before it gets an
                      >infection in it. While you're waiting for it to finish fermenting and
                      >clearing (10 - 14 days), check ot this part of Tony's site as a
                      >primer...
                      >http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/HomedistillerMirror/Org/ferment
                      >.htm#reuse
                      >
                      >or TinyURL... http://tinyurl.com/b7u86
                      >

                      >Slainte!
                      >regards Harry

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Robert Thomas
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                        Also, if the original yeast was a turbo, the packet
                        comes with lots of nutrients and pH buffers as well as
                        yeast. So when you reuse the "sludge" you need to add
                        your own nutrients (eg mollasses) and potentially
                        buffers (although this isn't necessary unless you are
                        trying to get the fast high abv results you do with
                        turbos. If you are, give up now: it's too
                        complicated).
                        Cheers,
                        Rob.

                        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,
                        > "vodkadaddy1950"
                        > <jscott315@c...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i am trying to use the sludge from the bottom of
                        > my last batch,
                        > > instead of buying new yeast....but i cant get the
                        > fermenting
                        > > started...can some one help me with what my
                        > problem may be....i was
                        > > told to give the yeast some food such as
                        > molasses...if that is the
                        > > problem ....how much molasses do i add to a 25
                        > litre batch that is a
                        > > sugar water recipe....and can i add it to the
                        > batch that has already
                        > > been mixed...please help !!!!
                        > > scott from dallas
                        > >

                        > You need something in the order of 10 million
                        > healthy yeast cells per
                        > mL of wash to start a good ferment. This usually
                        > requires growing
                        > them up as starter cultures from sludge.
                        >
                        > You really need to do a lot more study on reuse,
                        > yeast ranching and
                        > the like, before you embark on this route. Just
                        > pitch your existing
                        > wort with a fresh pack of turbo yeast for now,
                        > before it gets an
                        > infection in it. While you're waiting for it to
                        > finish fermenting and
                        > clearing (10 - 14 days), check ot this part of
                        > Tony's site as a
                        > primer...

                        http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/HomedistillerMirror/Org/ferment
                        > .htm#reuse
                        >
                        > or TinyURL... http://tinyurl.com/b7u86
                        >

                        > Slainte!
                        > regards Harry

                        Cheers,
                        Rob.

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • donald holcombe
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 13, 2005
                          Got some rye mash on its 3rd run now . still OK . If it gets too hot I get some flavors I dont like. I then use carbon and wood spears. seems to work good.

                          vodkadaddy1950 <jscott315@...> wrote:i was told at a home brewing shop that after you siphon off the