Re: [new_distillers] Re: Beginer, HELP!!!

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
      At 10:00 AM 4/29/01 +0000, Kev wrote:

      >What was the % of the wash when you started the run / ended the
      >fermentation?

      Up till now I haven't bothered checking the wash %, (I'm still working my
      way through Tony's site, trying to get a grip on the science), but I keep
      notes on each batch, so according the calculator on the site, both the last
      batch and the one I intend to run tomorrow was/is 16.7%. I've never got
      the final SG below 990. I'll let you know the final result of this latest
      one.

      I've kept the last 2 batches at around 80C, collecting in half litre lots,
      with the first litre coming out at 85%, the next at around 80%, then down
      to 78% for the last 1.5. I know I could get a bit more quantity by letting
      it run past 88C, but by the time I've collected that painfully slow last
      half litre I've pretty much had enough of hanging around keeping an eye on
      the temperature, and I'm very hungry! I guess on this next run I should
      dial a pizza for dinner and hang in there till the absolute end to see how
      much I've been tossing out with the wash. Again, using the website
      calculator, in theory it should only be about 200mls - but I guess that
      does convert to a few 40% gins ...

      Cheers,
      Lynne