Newsgroup activities

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2001
      Well, both newsgroups (Distillers and New Distillers) have now been ticking
      over for a couple of years (thanks to Des having the forsight to set them
      up) - Distillers in May 1999, and New Distillers in March 2000.

      I thought it would be interesting to see who's involved & using the
      service.

      Theres been 2252+ posts to Distillers, and 622+ to New Distillers.

      Distillers has grown to 390 members, and New Distillers has 244. These
      grow steadily, with a couple of new members most days.

      Based on those numbers, you can surmise that there's a few lurkers out
      there (members who quietly watch & learn, but don't actively post). Pretty
      much to be expected given the legality of distilling in most countries.
      This attention is also reflected in the split of how the emails are
      recieved ..

      Distillers .. 83 get the daily digest, 174 have the individual emails, and
      132 don't get email, but read it only on the Web
      New Distillers ..42 get the daily digest, 117 have the individual emails,
      and 84 read the Web.

      Food for thought when posting large attachments.

      The membership is a varied lot. I've yet to see an email address with
      "GOV" or "BATF" or the like in it, but no doubt we have our share of
      Government agencies who quietly watch as well. Of the obvious email
      address, both groups have the same proportion - about 6% are New
      Zealanders, 14% Australian, and 20%+ American. The rest are from all
      points on the globe. Many are taking advantage of the more anonymous type
      email providers (good on ya !), with about 14% from Hotmail and 13% from
      Yahoo

      This varied membership is contributing a plethora of questions, answers,
      ideas, and experience. Heaps of new stuff to learn all the time.

      Glad to be a part of it all.

      Tony