Re: More Filtering

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
      Hi Mike,
      without going into all the technical details you could give us a
      rough idea as to the effectiveness of carbon on different diultions
      of vodka, say in increments of 10%. i have diluted mine down as low
      as 25% and redistilled to "filter" the carbon back out and to boost
      the percentage. is this a waste though? would it have worked as well
      as if i had only diluted to 40%.say i had 1 litre of 95% vodka. if i
      dilute it to 60% will i have to use twice as much carbon as if i had
      diluted it to 40% or will i have to leave it twice as long on the
      carbon? can the 60% ever get as clean as 40% with any amount of
      treatment? i prefer vodka at 60% but have never got it as nice
      tasting as 40% carbon treated stuff.
      also Mike what do you make of all the recent posts about distilled
      water tasting bad?

      --- In new_distillers@y..., "Mike Nixon" <mike@s...> wrote:
      > Aaron Pelly wrote:
      > Subject: RE: [new_distillers] More Filtering
      >
      > Re James Bain's post:
      > (Official call to Mike N to let > me know >offline< here. I did
      courses in Org and Bio Chem in University many many years ago. I'm
      not afraid of details).

      > I'm interested too. Perhaps we should take this to the distillers
      group.
      > ===========================
      > Hi guys,
      >
      > I will happily chat to you both about this, but I seriously think
      that it would be way off topic for either of the lists as it involves
      rather heavy stuff about intermolecular forces etc. Getting bogged
      down with London forces, dipole-dipole attractions etc is not many
      peoples' idea of fun.

      > The interest for most members will be in practical distilling
      techniques, and which ones work best. I, for one, wouldn't want a
      lecture on solar physics if I asked if it's going to sunny tommorrow!

      > Call me direct, and we'll chat. Better still Aaron, bring a six
      pack and we'll make it a symposium! :-))