RE: [new_distillers] More Filtering

  • Aaron Pelly
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
      > (Official call to Mike N to let
      > me know >offline< here. I did courses in Org and Bio Chem in
      > University many many years ago. I'm not afraid of details).

      I'm interested too. Perhaps we should take this to the distillers group.
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
        Aaron Pelly wrote:
        Subject: RE: [new_distillers] More Filtering

        Re James Bain's post:
        (Official call to Mike N to let > me know
        >offline< here. I did courses in Org and Bio Chem in  University many
        many years ago.  I'm not afraid of details).

        I'm interested too. Perhaps we should take this to the distillers group.
        ===========================
        Hi guys,

        I will happily chat to you both about this, but I seriously think that it would be way off topic for either of the lists as it involves rather heavy stuff about intermolecular forces etc.  Getting bogged down with London forces, dipole-dipole attractions etc is not many peoples' idea of fun.

        The interest for most members will be in practical distilling techniques, and which ones work best.  I, for one, wouldn't want a lecture on solar physics if I asked if it's going to sunny tommorrow!

        Call me direct, and we'll chat. Better still Aaron, bring a six pack and we'll make it a symposium!  :-))

        Mike N

      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
          Hi Mike,
          without going into all the technical details you could give us a
          rough idea as to the effectiveness of carbon on different diultions
          of vodka, say in increments of 10%. i have diluted mine down as low
          as 25% and redistilled to "filter" the carbon back out and to boost
          the percentage. is this a waste though? would it have worked as well
          as if i had only diluted to 40%.say i had 1 litre of 95% vodka. if i
          dilute it to 60% will i have to use twice as much carbon as if i had
          diluted it to 40% or will i have to leave it twice as long on the
          carbon? can the 60% ever get as clean as 40% with any amount of
          treatment? i prefer vodka at 60% but have never got it as nice
          tasting as 40% carbon treated stuff.
          also Mike what do you make of all the recent posts about distilled
          water tasting bad?