More Filtering

  • James Bain
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
      Carbon treatment does *not* equal carbon filtering, is that what I am
      getting here? Is this a symantic thing, or have I just not read
      enough yet to make the distinction?

      Filtering/treating 20% wash to get off-flavours seemed viable.

      I use turbo yeast and plan on using sparkalloid or the like to clear
      it in this scenario.

      Any solids at this point would be invisible.

      I looked at a fine ceramic prefilter here, but it'd get jammed with
      yeast too quickly.

      The filter I use is a cylinder of SOLID active carbon, capped at one
      end. Maybe 10cm wide, 3cm bore. 30-40cm long. I see them everywhere
      here.

      Put the wash through the open middle, Let liquid leech out into the
      main container. There.

      ethyl-thisses and aldehyde-thatsses would be picked up at this point,
      but I agree with the volume potentially overwhelming the filter.
      Maybe with a big enough filter, however.

      But I wonder how many volatiles, by volume, would be generated in a 25l wash?

      homedistillers.org had that I think. I'll look it up to be sure later.

      Varies, but if we're talking 10cc even, that'd stay in the filter and
      maybe I could heat dry them off--evaporate them--later and reuse this
      thing over and over again.

      Mention was made of the liqueur kits and their carbon treatment. I
      was actually thinking about this with my initial idea.

      Why would, and I'm looking for chemistry and physics here, do people
      say diluted alcohol filters better? (Official call to Mike N to let
      me know >offline< here. I did courses in Org and Bio Chem in
      University many many years ago. I'm not afraid of details).

      If that's the case though, and a 40% is the target percentage, then
      how about, and this might work, having a potstill's >first< output go
      directly through an active carbon filter a la the "Updraft" one.
      It'd be ca 40-50% then.

      I can imagine doing a potstill run on a cleared wash and filtering at
      that point rather than with a dilute down from a reflux. It might
      even be drinkable after one run, right? Age it maybe, but there it is.

      It would take less time and energy, I am almost positive, to generate
      clear, neutral, drinkable spirits this way.

      I'd need to mess with this a couple more times to get the 90% alcohol
      I'd need for my absinthe experiments, but that's for later. Most
      people seem to want vodka and this looks like it's make that first
      run.
    • Aaron Pelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
        > (Official call to Mike N to let
        > me know >offline< here. I did courses in Org and Bio Chem in
        > University many many years ago. I'm not afraid of details).

        I'm interested too. Perhaps we should take this to the distillers group.
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
          Aaron Pelly wrote:
          Subject: RE: [new_distillers] More Filtering

          Re James Bain's post:
          (Official call to Mike N to let > me know
          >offline< here. I did courses in Org and Bio Chem in  University many
          many years ago.  I'm not afraid of details).

          I'm interested too. Perhaps we should take this to the distillers group.
          ===========================
          Hi guys,

          I will happily chat to you both about this, but I seriously think that it would be way off topic for either of the lists as it involves rather heavy stuff about intermolecular forces etc.  Getting bogged down with London forces, dipole-dipole attractions etc is not many peoples' idea of fun.

          The interest for most members will be in practical distilling techniques, and which ones work best.  I, for one, wouldn't want a lecture on solar physics if I asked if it's going to sunny tommorrow!

          Call me direct, and we'll chat. Better still Aaron, bring a six pack and we'll make it a symposium!  :-))

          Mike N

        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
            Hi Mike,
            without going into all the technical details you could give us a
            rough idea as to the effectiveness of carbon on different diultions
            of vodka, say in increments of 10%. i have diluted mine down as low
            as 25% and redistilled to "filter" the carbon back out and to boost
            the percentage. is this a waste though? would it have worked as well
            as if i had only diluted to 40%.say i had 1 litre of 95% vodka. if i
            dilute it to 60% will i have to use twice as much carbon as if i had
            diluted it to 40% or will i have to leave it twice as long on the
            carbon? can the 60% ever get as clean as 40% with any amount of
            treatment? i prefer vodka at 60% but have never got it as nice
            tasting as 40% carbon treated stuff.
            also Mike what do you make of all the recent posts about distilled
            water tasting bad?