Re: [new_distillers] Re: scrubbers

  • Zeke Jones
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002

      EKCO distributes a very-high-quality 100%copper scrub(Non-magnetic)...I found several 2-paks at Big Lots for $0.99 per pak...bought all they had.....one note of caution...always check scrubs,copper or SS,with a good magnet....many scrubs material are NOT as stated on the pkg...:>)

      >From: "nanosleep"
      >
      >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: scrubbers
      >Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:17:52 -0000
      >
      >For those of you in the states. I've had good luck with the
      >'chore boy' brand sold at Wal-Mart. I agree, give them a good
      >washing before use. These come with the SS in nice curly loops.
      >I've found they tangle much less if you fray them out and then
      >wad them back up. The random wadded mess can get hooked
      >together less easily than the nice loops. The random wadded
      >ones are easily pulled out of the column with a piece of
      >wire with a small hook bent into the end. Washing them in the
      >dishwasher avoids getting them tangled.
      >
      >-A

    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 26, 2009
        I am doing a stripping run and usually take my ss scrubbers out and just
        give them a wash as I usually back flush them after a distill and they
        looked reasonably clean, but decided to boil them to see if there was
        trapped "stuff"(which I have not done for awhile).I have changed the water
        once and there was a distinct discolouration with a slight odour coming off.
        Now on the second boil up the water is clear now and no odour .As a
        suggestion a good house keeping exercise for all every now and then to keep
        the grog perfect
        Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)
      • brandon wilbanks
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 16, 2011
          im only finding copper "coated" scrubbers, i boil em & i get an orange residue on the pot & the scrubbers get a red oxide~ie dust to them,& the stainless ones just seem questionable altogether, anybody know a specific brand & store to find good ones?
        • John Brase
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 17, 2011
            Type "libman copper scrubbers" into Google and several on-line sources will pop up. They are 100% copper.

            On 6/17/2011 12:23 AM, brandon wilbanks wrote:

            im only finding copper "coated" scrubbers, i boil em & i get an orange residue on the pot & the scrubbers get a red oxide~ie dust to them,& the stainless ones just seem questionable altogether, anybody know a specific brand & store to find good ones?

          • made_it_myself
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 19, 2011
              I have been searching for 100% Copper scrubbers here in the UK, and I just found a retail source in Essex if anyone is interested.
              They are about 65p each though, so I am still looking.
              The manufacturer is British, but their minimum purchase is £300.
              They are about the size of a quarter pond burger.

              Doc