Re: Filtering

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 6, 2002
      there are home brew liquer kits which i used to make. you brew sugar
      water over 5 weeks up to 22%. add finings to clear it crystal clear,
      then you add charcoal and let it settle for a week. decant it off and
      it was mixed with flavorings. they were very nice and almost
      flavourless when first taken off the carbon.

      if i was using a 25litre 20% sugar wash using a potstill i would let
      it clear for a few days to get it pretty clear. then distill once to
      strip it of solids, collecting everything in the same container,
      should be about 12l@40%. then do a second distillation (without
      dilution) ditching the first 100-150ml as foreshots. collect the next
      litre as heads separately. collect the next 6litres as my main run
      and collect the last litre as tails in the same bottle as the heads.
      i would then dilute the 6 litres down to 25-30% and charcoal it for a
      month or more. i would then decant it off the charcoal and redistill
      it collecting every drop as drinkable charcoal free vodka of a high
      strength with no need to dilute it.

      i find redistilling charcoaled vodka to be faster than filtering the
      charcoal out (and it definitely gets rid of ALL carbon), i find the
      charcoal works better at lower percentages, you can dilute it a lot
      since the redistillation will boost the strength again anyway.

    • Carter N/A
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
        I've decided not to go with the tube filled with activated carbon, I think
        it just will be too much of a PIA. I need the 93% so I can make absinthe and
        I don't want to water down the mix, I will at least need to cut it down to
        85%. Anyway, I've got 4 liters of neutral alcohol from wine and according to
        the "compleat distiller" they've had good results with just adding carbon to
        the alcohol and letting it sit for a week. I used about 2 1/2 pounds of
        carbon to 2 liters of alcohol. Has anyone had any experience with this. My
        questions are this, from what I know, just shake it about 4 times a day to
        circulate it and then after a week your done? The important thing is what
        kind of setups are people using to filter off the alcohol once they're done
        filtering? Have any of you built a paper filter to pass it through to remove
        the miniscule particles left by the carbon? Any design ideas? Or should I
        just use a very very fine sieve? IF so where can I get one, I've looked but
        all household sieves look the same, I've got a fine one at home already and
        some of the carbon passes right through it. Any help would be great. Thanks
      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
          Try a couple of cotton balls in the funnel with say a coffee filter paper
          above to catch the large carbon particles.

          Yours in Spirit

          Robert

          _____

[...]

            Corporate culture Business culture of china Organizational culture Cell culture Organization culture Distilling

          • Rod
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 9, 2005
              if your getting 93% why bother with carbon ????
              i only carbon under 80%
              you wont be able to tell the difference
              unless you collect the tails as well and mix them with ya good stuff!
            • Ian Kent
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 9, 2005
                I get 92% and don't use carbon.
                To me it's not worth the effort

                On 11/9/05, Rod <bull910@...> wrote:

                > if your getting 93% why bother with carbon ????
                > i only carbon under 80%
                > you wont be able to tell the difference
                > unless you collect the tails as well and mix them with ya good stuff!

              • Wes
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 9, 2005
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...>
                  wrote:

                  > I get 92% and don't use carbon.
                  > To me it's not worth the effort
                  >
                  > On 11/9/05, Rod <bull910@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > if your getting 93% why bother with carbon ????
                  > > i only carbon under 80%
                  > > you wont be able to tell the difference
                  > > unless you collect the tails as well and mix them with ya good
                  stuff!

                  I have followed the thread on filtering for a few weeks and have
                  been unsure if i have been missing out on something.
                  I am pretty harsh with the cuts and the end product has been quite
                  acceptable from a 1200mm reflux still putting out consistantly high
                  95% hootch.
                  I made a filter from a 100mm sewage pipe about a metre long that I
                  used as a waterproof container for flares and stuff that i wanted to
                  keep dry in a boat.(no shit)
                  I cut a hole in the bottom and put a 40mm adapter in that accepts a
                  bung from a fermenter. I pushed a copper pipe that a tampon fits
                  inside halfway in on the inside and a tap in the other end of the
                  bung.
                  Put 500g of carbon inside and run 9 litres of 40% through it. It
                  took a couple of days to drip through and the end result.............
                  it does make a differance, my wife is impressed and brother that is
                  something that rarely happens.

                  Just my two bobs worth

                  Wes

                • emailbenja
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wes" <fourtysouth@y...> wrote:

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Ian Kent <kegscruiser@g...>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > I get 92% and don't use carbon.
                    > > To me it's not worth the effort
                    > >
                    > > On 11/9/05, Rod <bull910@h...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > if your getting 93% why bother with carbon ????
                    > > > i only carbon under 80%
                    > > > you wont be able to tell the difference
                    > > > unless you collect the tails as well and mix them with ya good
                    > stuff!
                    > > >

                    > I have followed the thread on filtering for a few weeks and have
                    > been unsure if i have been missing out on something.
                    > I am pretty harsh with the cuts and the end product has been quite
                    > acceptable from a 1200mm reflux still putting out consistantly high
                    > 95% hootch.
                    > I made a filter from a 100mm sewage pipe about a metre long that I
                    > used as a waterproof container for flares and stuff that i wanted to
                    > keep dry in a boat.(no shit)
                    > I cut a hole in the bottom and put a 40mm adapter in that accepts a
                    > bung from a fermenter. I pushed a copper pipe that a tampon fits
                    > inside halfway in on the inside and a tap in the other end of the
                    > bung.
                    > Put 500g of carbon inside and run 9 litres of 40% through it. It
                    > took a couple of days to drip through and the end result.............
                    > it does make a differance, my wife is impressed and brother that is
                    > something that rarely happens.
                    >
                    > Just my two bobs worth
                    >
                    > Wes

                    Precisely my observations. The product is 95%, which means there is 5%
                    of some other crap in there. In an ideal world, its water (inseperable
                    from the azeotropic mix), but i reckon noone can make it that pure.
                    Filter it anyway- its not gonna hurt!
                    cheers
                    benja
                  • Lindsay Williams
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                      I'm now in the filter, regardless, corner, too. There is no doubt it
                      does make it much more certain that the product will be taintless (new
                      word!!).

                      Cheers,
                      Lindsay.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "emailbenja" <emailbenja@y...>

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                        <linw@x...> wrote:

                        > I'm now in the filter, regardless, corner, too. There is no doubt
                        it
                        > does make it much more certain that the product will be taintless
                        (new
                        > word!!).
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Lindsay.

                        Taintless!!!! The mind boggles! Email me & I'll tell ya what
                        a 'tainter' is. ;)

                        Moderator
                      • emailbenja
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                          "the product will be taintless (new word!!). "
                          Hey i almost wrote unseperatable instead of inseperable in my previous
                          post. This new word thing is easy, but you need skill to use existing
                          (forgotten?) ones like Harry does. Any onld fool can spooner their way
                          to so-called new words!
                          cheers
                          benja
                        • Lindsay Williams
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "emailbenja" <emailbenja@y...>

                            Any onld fool can spooner their way

                            > benja

                            Even old fools!!

                            Lindsay.
                          • ethanol.dude
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 11, 2006
                              Here's what I do, take a piece of two inch PVC pipe about 3 foot
                              long. Cap one end, drill a very small hole in the cap, right in the
                              middle, flip it over and pack it full of activated carbon. Take some
                              PVC increasers and make a funnel at the top(the end that's not capped).

                              Make some kind of stand where it can set straight up and down then put
                              a mason jar under it and fill it full of your distillate. The alcohol
                              runs all the way through and out the very small hole you drilled in
                              the cap at the bottom. This way it gets exposed to lots of carbon on
                              it's way down.

                              Once you have the jar filled you can filter out the small amount of
                              carbon that came through with a cotton filter.

                              Do this two or three times and it really does a good job.

                              ED
                            • fit_dude42
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 12, 2006
                                Ah-Ha so it does come out with bits in! Thanks. I thought it was me
                                doing something wrong. I presume i could use your method but use the
                                carbon 'teabags' instead.

                                I didn't realise you had to filter more than once. I was under the
                                impression it was a once through deal. Possibly why i'd thought i'd
                                done it wrong, 'cos it still had a taint.

                                Thanks for that.

                                Karl.
                                Cheers m'dears

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ethanol.dude"
                                <ethanol.dude@...> wrote:

                                > Here's what I do, take a piece of two inch PVC pipe about 3 foot
                                > long. Cap one end, drill a very small hole in the cap, right in
                                the
                                > middle, flip it over and pack it full of activated carbon. Take
                                some
                                > PVC increasers and make a funnel at the top(the end that's not
                                capped).

                                > Make some kind of stand where it can set straight up and down then
                                put
                                > a mason jar under it and fill it full of your distillate. The
                                alcohol
                                > runs all the way through and out the very small hole you drilled
                                in
                                > the cap at the bottom. This way it gets exposed to lots of carbon
                                on
                                > it's way down.
                                >
                                > Once you have the jar filled you can filter out the small amount
                                of
                                > carbon that came through with a cotton filter.
                                >
                                > Do this two or three times and it really does a good job.
                                >
                                > ED

                              • xpensv65
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 21 8:59 AM
                                  Just set up charcoal filter. Is it better to filter fluid pure. Or should I dilute the product first. Thanks
                                • bigdaddyg851
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 21 9:23 AM
                                    dilute to drinking strength .and i have found cold distillate filters better .