Re: Perfect VODKA

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
      ups474 said "In all cases the water used to dilute the spirit is
      distilled water from the store"
      have you ever used your own distilled water. over on distillers some
      have told me that it is hard to get distilled water to taste nice.

      i am in dublin, my friend lives across the river liffey just opposite
      james gate (guinness brewry) cant beat the smell of that toasty malt.
      i have heard it is going to move out of dublin soon so the taste will
      never be the same again :(

    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
        I have used water that was distilled at home for me, but it still had a funny
        metallic "tang" to it from the still that was used to make it. I use the
        store-bought stuff because it's only a (US) dollar a gallon, and it would be
        more expensive to distill it at home. From what I've studied, water that is
        carbon filtered, then boiled for 2 hours, then cooled may work as well as
        distilled. The filter will remove the metals and obvious chlorine, the long
        boil will destroy any complex chlorine compounds like chloramines, as well as
        drive off the oxygen, and precipitate out any carbonate hardness.
        Considering the steam cloud I get in my kitchen when I brew a batch of beer
        (90 minute boil)- I'll just buy the stuff and save the time/electrical bill.
        Even my distilled water from the store can taste kind of like plastic, but it
        doesn't seem to mar the spirit flavor.
        Try a shop with a fast turnover rate, so the stuff hasen't been sitting on a
        shelf for long.
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
          The James' gate brewery is going to move?
          Is this RUMINT (RUMor- gathered INTelligence), or has there been a press
          release of some kind from the company?
        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
            does your spirit have the same metallic tang to it? i cant get large
            quantities of ditilled water so it is expensive 1 euro (1$US) for
            500ml!. i would probably use bottled mineral water instead. i really
            want to have it perfect with no need for carbon so i can just add it
            to drinks at 95% with no need for dilution, just very careful storage!

            the guinness brewry moving was in the national papers here a while
            back but i havent read anything since so they may have scrapped the
            idea, there was definitely opposition to it. property in dublin has
            skyrocketed in the last few years, so businesses are moving out to
            the countryside.

          • ups474@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
              yes, the spirit kept the metallic tang from the distilled water. It was
              likely do to the "newness" of the still, rather than the fact it was
              homemade. If it's cheaper for you to make it yourself- go ahead and try it-
              if your spirit doesn't come out of the still with any wierd metallic flavors,
              odds are that your water won't have it, either.
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                The best source for clean, flavourless water is rain water.
                Everybody in Australia should have a rain water tank, considering the
                distinct lack of drinking water. If you do not, it is not hard to
                set one up. Many people that I know will not drink anything but.

                --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                > yes, the spirit kept the metallic tang from the distilled water.
                It was
                > likely do to the "newness" of the still, rather than the fact it
                was
                > homemade. If it's cheaper for you to make it yourself- go ahead
                and try it-
                > if your spirit doesn't come out of the still with any wierd
                metallic flavors,
                > odds are that your water won't have it, either.
              • Proko
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                  --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                  > yes, the spirit kept the metallic tang from the distilled water.
                  It was
                  > likely do to the "newness" of the still, rather than the fact it
                  was
                  > homemade. If it's cheaper for you to make it yourself- go ahead
                  and try it-
                  > if your spirit doesn't come out of the still with any wierd
                  metallic flavors,
                  > odds are that your water won't have it, either.

                  I disagree! I have distilled water in my still many times and it
                  always takes on a metallic flavour. I run a copper internal reflux
                  still. My ethanol never takes on this flavour. Water, especially
                  water vapour has an affinity to dissolve any oxidised salts that are
                  present within the still. Copper readily oxidises in room
                  temperature air. Add steam to already oxidised copper and you have a
                  recipe for very untasty water. Try drinking water out of your hot
                  water tap and you will see what I mean. Alcohol on the other hand is
                  not such a good solvent. It has a problem diluting most salts and
                  because of its chemical nature tends to revert back to its more
                  stable mixture of ethanol + the salt (especially when you have water
                  present in the wash). Sound convincing?
                • weehaaa2002
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                    water better solvent than ethanol?? I don't think so. does the
                    distilled water have any taste after putting it through an activated
                    carbon bed.
                  • Mike Nixon
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002

                      weehaaa2002 wrote:
                      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Perfect VODKA

                      water better solvent than ethanol?? I don't think so. does the
                      distilled water have any taste after putting it through an activated
                      carbon bed.
                      ==================================
                      Proko is right ... water is definitely the best solvent for salts, which is what he was talking about.  Ethanol is good for hydrocarbons, like oils and greases.

                      Mike N

                    • Robert Stam
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 17, 2002
                        Hi Jack...

                        after I read this I went to the local farm supplies store and enquired if they had any wheat grain. They do, but weren't sure if it was still viable as it is dried after harvest to remove excess moisture before storage in the silos. So they gave me a couple of handfulls to test out. I soaked it in filtered water for 8 hours, drained for 8 hours, resoaked for 8 hours, then drained again, and put into a shallow bowl with cling film over the top to keep in the moisture. Almost every grain sprouted, and after three days the acrospire was 3/4 - 1 length of the grain body. Great! They are now drying in the oven on a very low heat for 24 hours.

                        Once they are dry, back to the original weight, I will grind them up to a coarse flour.

                        Okay, what then? Any advise or comments  please.

                        Cheers, Rob
[...]

                        Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

                      • Still - Cooker
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 18, 2002
                          Did I just read that someone recommended bottled mineral water????

                          If you want to waste your drink - use that!!!!!!

                          StillCooker
                          www.stillcooker.servebeer.com