Re: [new_distillers] Perfect VODKA

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
      Absolut and Stoli both mix in a little low-proof wheat spirit, along with
      sugar (2% sugar by volume)
      A few of the better Eastern Euro countries do the same thing with their
      vodka, but they use rye spirit.
      If your looking for nothing but smooth and sweet, use plain sugar, distill to
      95% in a store bought still, dilute back down to 10%abv, then distill to 95%
      again, collecting only the middle third of the run (go by taste). Sweeten
      the stuff with corn sugar, and maybe a splash of really smooth graqin spirit
      made with a potstill to get a taste closer to the "traditional" styles. Or
      leave the grain spirit out and try for perfect neutrality.
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
        A personal favorite of mine is to make an all grain malted wheat mash, which
        is then double distilled in a potstill. The second run is collected by
        taste- a very tight middle cut is done. A little corn sugar is also added.
        A quick and cheaper version can be made by fermenting a mash made of wheat
        malt syrup (ferment to about 10%abv), and then run it through a still that
        turns out ethanol at 90 to 94%abv, water it down to 40%abv and age in glass
        with a cork stopper for 30 days. The first 250ml that comes out of the still
        is thrown out as heads In all cases the water used to dilute the spirit is
        distilled water from the store- NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK!! If you try to make
        quality vodka at 40%abv, that means that 60% of your flavor is going to be
        coming from your water. Water is one of the most important ingredients in
        beer/wine/spirits production, but, aside from all-grain beer brewers, almost
        no one discusses it, despite the fact that even the Russians (during the cold
        war) declared that the vodka quality of Moscow suffered when the water supply
        was changed. The Guiness fans constantly clain the Dublin brewery produces
        the superior beer. A lot of sugar vodka could be better: Use the finest
        Turbo yeast, the cleanest sugar, the best still, and cut the resulting spirit
        with common municipal water? Bad idea.
      • confederaterebel@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
          The water thing. All the ol'timers used to look for a good "branch". Back then, they looked for certain streams that had the best water. Certain methods such as shaking a jar (for bead), mountain laurel (plants on the bank), no iron (obvious buildup),  etc.......was how they checked streams off the mountains. Yep, water will kill moonshine if not good.
        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
            ups474 said "In all cases the water used to dilute the spirit is
            distilled water from the store"
            have you ever used your own distilled water. over on distillers some
            have told me that it is hard to get distilled water to taste nice.

            i am in dublin, my friend lives across the river liffey just opposite
            james gate (guinness brewry) cant beat the smell of that toasty malt.
            i have heard it is going to move out of dublin soon so the taste will
            never be the same again :(

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
              I have used water that was distilled at home for me, but it still had a funny
              metallic "tang" to it from the still that was used to make it. I use the
              store-bought stuff because it's only a (US) dollar a gallon, and it would be
              more expensive to distill it at home. From what I've studied, water that is
              carbon filtered, then boiled for 2 hours, then cooled may work as well as
              distilled. The filter will remove the metals and obvious chlorine, the long
              boil will destroy any complex chlorine compounds like chloramines, as well as
              drive off the oxygen, and precipitate out any carbonate hardness.
              Considering the steam cloud I get in my kitchen when I brew a batch of beer
              (90 minute boil)- I'll just buy the stuff and save the time/electrical bill.
              Even my distilled water from the store can taste kind of like plastic, but it
              doesn't seem to mar the spirit flavor.
              Try a shop with a fast turnover rate, so the stuff hasen't been sitting on a
              shelf for long.
            • ups474@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
                The James' gate brewery is going to move?
                Is this RUMINT (RUMor- gathered INTelligence), or has there been a press
                release of some kind from the company?
              • peter_vcb
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                  does your spirit have the same metallic tang to it? i cant get large
                  quantities of ditilled water so it is expensive 1 euro (1$US) for
                  500ml!. i would probably use bottled mineral water instead. i really
                  want to have it perfect with no need for carbon so i can just add it
                  to drinks at 95% with no need for dilution, just very careful storage!

                  the guinness brewry moving was in the national papers here a while
                  back but i havent read anything since so they may have scrapped the
                  idea, there was definitely opposition to it. property in dublin has
                  skyrocketed in the last few years, so businesses are moving out to
                  the countryside.

                • ups474@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                    yes, the spirit kept the metallic tang from the distilled water. It was
                    likely do to the "newness" of the still, rather than the fact it was
                    homemade. If it's cheaper for you to make it yourself- go ahead and try it-
                    if your spirit doesn't come out of the still with any wierd metallic flavors,
                    odds are that your water won't have it, either.
                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                      The best source for clean, flavourless water is rain water.
                      Everybody in Australia should have a rain water tank, considering the
                      distinct lack of drinking water. If you do not, it is not hard to
                      set one up. Many people that I know will not drink anything but.

                      --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                      > yes, the spirit kept the metallic tang from the distilled water.
                      It was
                      > likely do to the "newness" of the still, rather than the fact it
                      was
                      > homemade. If it's cheaper for you to make it yourself- go ahead
                      and try it-
                      > if your spirit doesn't come out of the still with any wierd
                      metallic flavors,
                      > odds are that your water won't have it, either.
                    • Proko
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                        --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                        > yes, the spirit kept the metallic tang from the distilled water.
                        It was
                        > likely do to the "newness" of the still, rather than the fact it
                        was
                        > homemade. If it's cheaper for you to make it yourself- go ahead
                        and try it-
                        > if your spirit doesn't come out of the still with any wierd
                        metallic flavors,
                        > odds are that your water won't have it, either.

                        I disagree! I have distilled water in my still many times and it
                        always takes on a metallic flavour. I run a copper internal reflux
                        still. My ethanol never takes on this flavour. Water, especially
                        water vapour has an affinity to dissolve any oxidised salts that are
                        present within the still. Copper readily oxidises in room
                        temperature air. Add steam to already oxidised copper and you have a
                        recipe for very untasty water. Try drinking water out of your hot
                        water tap and you will see what I mean. Alcohol on the other hand is
                        not such a good solvent. It has a problem diluting most salts and
                        because of its chemical nature tends to revert back to its more
                        stable mixture of ethanol + the salt (especially when you have water
                        present in the wash). Sound convincing?
                      • weehaaa2002
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                          water better solvent than ethanol?? I don't think so. does the
                          distilled water have any taste after putting it through an activated
                          carbon bed.
                        • Mike Nixon
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002

                            weehaaa2002 wrote:
                            Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Perfect VODKA

                            water better solvent than ethanol?? I don't think so. does the
                            distilled water have any taste after putting it through an activated
                            carbon bed.
                            ==================================
                            Proko is right ... water is definitely the best solvent for salts, which is what he was talking about.  Ethanol is good for hydrocarbons, like oils and greases.

                            Mike N

                          • Robert Stam
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 17, 2002
                              Hi Jack...

                              after I read this I went to the local farm supplies store and enquired if they had any wheat grain. They do, but weren't sure if it was still viable as it is dried after harvest to remove excess moisture before storage in the silos. So they gave me a couple of handfulls to test out. I soaked it in filtered water for 8 hours, drained for 8 hours, resoaked for 8 hours, then drained again, and put into a shallow bowl with cling film over the top to keep in the moisture. Almost every grain sprouted, and after three days the acrospire was 3/4 - 1 length of the grain body. Great! They are now drying in the oven on a very low heat for 24 hours.

                              Once they are dry, back to the original weight, I will grind them up to a coarse flour.

                              Okay, what then? Any advise or comments  please.

                              Cheers, Rob
[...]

                              Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

                            • Still - Cooker
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 18, 2002
                                Did I just read that someone recommended bottled mineral water????

                                If you want to waste your drink - use that!!!!!!

                                StillCooker
                                www.stillcooker.servebeer.com