Perfect VODKA

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
      Hey, titans of the distilling trade! Please (with all due respects), would you enlighten me on the composition of "THE PERFECT VODKA?" The reason for it is that I have a co-worker who is interested "how I am doing" and he unfortunately drinks only vodka...  fruit juice mixers are so-so for him. So, I want to know what components are used in "smooth tasting, clear, real vodka" I noticed when I place a bottle of the off-the-self vodka in the freezer it gets a little "heavy" or "sticky" and flows like  an oil at normal temperature. I am sure "pure" vodka is FAAAAAR from being pure mix of ethanol and water... I read about glicerine, tartaric acid and some other substances mixed n with vodkas... Please, I want to impress my co-worker with "The Real Thing" and all of you -- gim'me some advice what to mix "purely" with ethanol so it tastes like "REAL VODKA?" All replies are appreciated and really appreciated (though filtered through my abilities to analize) thank you all, members.... Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Aaron Pelly
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
        I think Jack uses pot distilled grain mash. He swears by it. I'm interested to know what he has to say about making it.
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
          Absolut and Stoli both mix in a little low-proof wheat spirit, along with
          sugar (2% sugar by volume)
          A few of the better Eastern Euro countries do the same thing with their
          vodka, but they use rye spirit.
          If your looking for nothing but smooth and sweet, use plain sugar, distill to
          95% in a store bought still, dilute back down to 10%abv, then distill to 95%
          again, collecting only the middle third of the run (go by taste). Sweeten
          the stuff with corn sugar, and maybe a splash of really smooth graqin spirit
          made with a potstill to get a taste closer to the "traditional" styles. Or
          leave the grain spirit out and try for perfect neutrality.
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
            A personal favorite of mine is to make an all grain malted wheat mash, which
            is then double distilled in a potstill. The second run is collected by
            taste- a very tight middle cut is done. A little corn sugar is also added.
            A quick and cheaper version can be made by fermenting a mash made of wheat
            malt syrup (ferment to about 10%abv), and then run it through a still that
            turns out ethanol at 90 to 94%abv, water it down to 40%abv and age in glass
            with a cork stopper for 30 days. The first 250ml that comes out of the still
            is thrown out as heads In all cases the water used to dilute the spirit is
            distilled water from the store- NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK!! If you try to make
            quality vodka at 40%abv, that means that 60% of your flavor is going to be
            coming from your water. Water is one of the most important ingredients in
            beer/wine/spirits production, but, aside from all-grain beer brewers, almost
            no one discusses it, despite the fact that even the Russians (during the cold
            war) declared that the vodka quality of Moscow suffered when the water supply
            was changed. The Guiness fans constantly clain the Dublin brewery produces
            the superior beer. A lot of sugar vodka could be better: Use the finest
            Turbo yeast, the cleanest sugar, the best still, and cut the resulting spirit
            with common municipal water? Bad idea.
          • confederaterebel@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
              The water thing. All the ol'timers used to look for a good "branch". Back then, they looked for certain streams that had the best water. Certain methods such as shaking a jar (for bead), mountain laurel (plants on the bank), no iron (obvious buildup),  etc.......was how they checked streams off the mountains. Yep, water will kill moonshine if not good.
            • peter_vcb
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
                ups474 said "In all cases the water used to dilute the spirit is
                distilled water from the store"
                have you ever used your own distilled water. over on distillers some
                have told me that it is hard to get distilled water to taste nice.

                i am in dublin, my friend lives across the river liffey just opposite
                james gate (guinness brewry) cant beat the smell of that toasty malt.
                i have heard it is going to move out of dublin soon so the taste will
                never be the same again :(

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
                  I have used water that was distilled at home for me, but it still had a funny
                  metallic "tang" to it from the still that was used to make it. I use the
                  store-bought stuff because it's only a (US) dollar a gallon, and it would be
                  more expensive to distill it at home. From what I've studied, water that is
                  carbon filtered, then boiled for 2 hours, then cooled may work as well as
                  distilled. The filter will remove the metals and obvious chlorine, the long
                  boil will destroy any complex chlorine compounds like chloramines, as well as
                  drive off the oxygen, and precipitate out any carbonate hardness.
                  Considering the steam cloud I get in my kitchen when I brew a batch of beer
                  (90 minute boil)- I'll just buy the stuff and save the time/electrical bill.
                  Even my distilled water from the store can taste kind of like plastic, but it
                  doesn't seem to mar the spirit flavor.
                  Try a shop with a fast turnover rate, so the stuff hasen't been sitting on a
                  shelf for long.
                • ups474@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
                    The James' gate brewery is going to move?
                    Is this RUMINT (RUMor- gathered INTelligence), or has there been a press
                    release of some kind from the company?
                  • peter_vcb
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                      does your spirit have the same metallic tang to it? i cant get large
                      quantities of ditilled water so it is expensive 1 euro (1$US) for
                      500ml!. i would probably use bottled mineral water instead. i really
                      want to have it perfect with no need for carbon so i can just add it
                      to drinks at 95% with no need for dilution, just very careful storage!

                      the guinness brewry moving was in the national papers here a while
                      back but i havent read anything since so they may have scrapped the
                      idea, there was definitely opposition to it. property in dublin has
                      skyrocketed in the last few years, so businesses are moving out to
                      the countryside.

                    • ups474@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                        yes, the spirit kept the metallic tang from the distilled water. It was
                        likely do to the "newness" of the still, rather than the fact it was
                        homemade. If it's cheaper for you to make it yourself- go ahead and try it-
                        if your spirit doesn't come out of the still with any wierd metallic flavors,
                        odds are that your water won't have it, either.
                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                          The best source for clean, flavourless water is rain water.
                          Everybody in Australia should have a rain water tank, considering the
                          distinct lack of drinking water. If you do not, it is not hard to
                          set one up. Many people that I know will not drink anything but.

                          --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                          > yes, the spirit kept the metallic tang from the distilled water.
                          It was
                          > likely do to the "newness" of the still, rather than the fact it
                          was
                          > homemade. If it's cheaper for you to make it yourself- go ahead
                          and try it-
                          > if your spirit doesn't come out of the still with any wierd
                          metallic flavors,
                          > odds are that your water won't have it, either.
                        • Proko
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                            --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                            > yes, the spirit kept the metallic tang from the distilled water.
                            It was
                            > likely do to the "newness" of the still, rather than the fact it
                            was
                            > homemade. If it's cheaper for you to make it yourself- go ahead
                            and try it-
                            > if your spirit doesn't come out of the still with any wierd
                            metallic flavors,
                            > odds are that your water won't have it, either.

                            I disagree! I have distilled water in my still many times and it
                            always takes on a metallic flavour. I run a copper internal reflux
                            still. My ethanol never takes on this flavour. Water, especially
                            water vapour has an affinity to dissolve any oxidised salts that are
                            present within the still. Copper readily oxidises in room
                            temperature air. Add steam to already oxidised copper and you have a
                            recipe for very untasty water. Try drinking water out of your hot
                            water tap and you will see what I mean. Alcohol on the other hand is
                            not such a good solvent. It has a problem diluting most salts and
                            because of its chemical nature tends to revert back to its more
                            stable mixture of ethanol + the salt (especially when you have water
                            present in the wash). Sound convincing?
                          • weehaaa2002
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                              water better solvent than ethanol?? I don't think so. does the
                              distilled water have any taste after putting it through an activated
                              carbon bed.
                            • Mike Nixon
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002

                                weehaaa2002 wrote:
                                Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Perfect VODKA

                                water better solvent than ethanol?? I don't think so. does the
                                distilled water have any taste after putting it through an activated
                                carbon bed.
                                ==================================
                                Proko is right ... water is definitely the best solvent for salts, which is what he was talking about.  Ethanol is good for hydrocarbons, like oils and greases.

                                Mike N

                              • Robert Stam
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 17, 2002
                                  Hi Jack...

                                  after I read this I went to the local farm supplies store and enquired if they had any wheat grain. They do, but weren't sure if it was still viable as it is dried after harvest to remove excess moisture before storage in the silos. So they gave me a couple of handfulls to test out. I soaked it in filtered water for 8 hours, drained for 8 hours, resoaked for 8 hours, then drained again, and put into a shallow bowl with cling film over the top to keep in the moisture. Almost every grain sprouted, and after three days the acrospire was 3/4 - 1 length of the grain body. Great! They are now drying in the oven on a very low heat for 24 hours.

                                  Once they are dry, back to the original weight, I will grind them up to a coarse flour.

                                  Okay, what then? Any advise or comments  please.

                                  Cheers, Rob
[...]

                                  Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

                                • Still - Cooker
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 18, 2002
                                    Did I just read that someone recommended bottled mineral water????

                                    If you want to waste your drink - use that!!!!!!

                                    StillCooker
                                    www.stillcooker.servebeer.com