scrubbers

  • stillyaakman
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hi everyone/
      I discovered a good source of scrubbers. Comercial kitchens, use them
      and they are heavy duty, stainless, and large. I was able to talk a
      resturant manager into ordering two cases (24) and I paid his cost,
      less than$16 U.S. The supplier called them "metal sponges ss".
      On a warning note, I smelled a cutting oil sort of smell on them and
      ran them through my clothes washer to clean them. I placed them all
      in a brewing grain bag. When they were finished they were joined in
      one amorphous mass. If this happens to you do not try to seperate
      them without wearing gloves, they are like razors and will cut your
      fingers to bits. I am still throbbing.
      Dan
    • nanosleep
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
        For those of you in the states. I've had good luck with the
        'chore boy' brand sold at Wal-Mart. I agree, give them a good
        washing before use. These come with the SS in nice curly loops.
        I've found they tangle much less if you fray them out and then
        wad them back up. The random wadded mess can get hooked
        together less easily than the nice loops. The random wadded
        ones are easily pulled out of the column with a piece of
        wire with a small hook bent into the end. Washing them in the
        dishwasher avoids getting them tangled.

        -A

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "stillyaakman" <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone/
        > I discovered a good source of scrubbers. Comercial kitchens, use
        them
        > and they are heavy duty, stainless, and large. I was able to talk a
        > resturant manager into ordering two cases (24) and I paid his cost,
        > less than$16 U.S. The supplier called them "metal sponges ss".
        > On a warning note, I smelled a cutting oil sort of smell on them
        and
        > ran them through my clothes washer to clean them. I placed them all
        > in a brewing grain bag. When they were finished they were joined in
        > one amorphous mass. If this happens to you do not try to seperate
        > them without wearing gloves, they are like razors and will cut your
        > fingers to bits. I am still throbbing.
        > Dan
      • Zeke Jones
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002

          EKCO distributes a very-high-quality 100%copper scrub(Non-magnetic)...I found several 2-paks at Big Lots for $0.99 per pak...bought all they had.....one note of caution...always check scrubs,copper or SS,with a good magnet....many scrubs material are NOT as stated on the pkg...:>)

          >From: "nanosleep"
          >
          >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: scrubbers
          >Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:17:52 -0000
          >
          >For those of you in the states. I've had good luck with the
          >'chore boy' brand sold at Wal-Mart. I agree, give them a good
          >washing before use. These come with the SS in nice curly loops.
          >I've found they tangle much less if you fray them out and then
          >wad them back up. The random wadded mess can get hooked
          >together less easily than the nice loops. The random wadded
          >ones are easily pulled out of the column with a piece of
          >wire with a small hook bent into the end. Washing them in the
          >dishwasher avoids getting them tangled.
          >
          >-A

        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2009
            I am doing a stripping run and usually take my ss scrubbers out and just
            give them a wash as I usually back flush them after a distill and they
            looked reasonably clean, but decided to boil them to see if there was
            trapped "stuff"(which I have not done for awhile).I have changed the water
            once and there was a distinct discolouration with a slight odour coming off.
            Now on the second boil up the water is clear now and no odour .As a
            suggestion a good house keeping exercise for all every now and then to keep
            the grog perfect
            Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)
          • brandon wilbanks
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 16 9:23 PM
              im only finding copper "coated" scrubbers, i boil em & i get an orange residue on the pot & the scrubbers get a red oxide~ie dust to them,& the stainless ones just seem questionable altogether, anybody know a specific brand & store to find good ones?
            • John Brase
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 17 4:14 AM
                Type "libman copper scrubbers" into Google and several on-line sources will pop up. They are 100% copper.

                On 6/17/2011 12:23 AM, brandon wilbanks wrote:

                im only finding copper "coated" scrubbers, i boil em & i get an orange residue on the pot & the scrubbers get a red oxide~ie dust to them,& the stainless ones just seem questionable altogether, anybody know a specific brand & store to find good ones?

              • made_it_myself
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 19 6:19 AM
                  I have been searching for 100% Copper scrubbers here in the UK, and I just found a retail source in Essex if anyone is interested.
                  They are about 65p each though, so I am still looking.
                  The manufacturer is British, but their minimum purchase is £300.
                  They are about the size of a quarter pond burger.

                  Doc