Re: What does methanol smell like?

  • Snowblind Moose
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
      As Peter_vcb said - the heads I get smell just like the drinkable
      stuff. I'm not sure what the other folks mean when they say they can
      smell the methanol, unless the concentrations I'm getting are so low
      in actual methanol content that it's undetectable.

      The oposite is true for the "tails" - there is a DEFINITE strong "wet
      cardboard" smell and an "off" taste.

      S.M.

      --- In new_distillers@y..., Still Man <potstillman@y...> wrote:

      > Hi, thanks for the reply, but why then do I read posts from people
      saying that they can smell methanol in their output?
      > peter_vcb <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:smells like drinkable
      ethanol

      > Get a bigger mailbox -- choose a size that fits your needs.
    • peter_vcb
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002
        if you are brewing just sugar washes you will get no methanol. you
        will get some ethyl acetate at the start though which smells bad (to
        some).

        when people say they smell meths i just presume they mean a smell
        like methylated spirits/nail varnish/turps/white spirit. a sharp
        nasty smell as oppossed to the wet cardboard smell