Re: [new_distillers] Re: What does methanol smell like?

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
      peter_vcb wrote:
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: What does methanol smell like?

      smells like drinkable ethanol
      =======================
      Still Man replied:

      Hi, thanks for the reply, but why then do I read posts from people saying that they can smell methanol in their output?
      =======================
      Probably because they have assumed that what they are smelling is methanol.  Peter is right.  The smell that many associate with 'meths' is that which you get with commercial 'methylated spirits', which is ethanol adulterated to make it unpleasant to drink.  Called 'meths' because methanol is the primary adulterant, but often accompanied by other substances and dyes.  Try putting a drop of commercial methylated spirits on a piece of glass and letting it dry.  Chances are that you will be left with an oily residue with the strong smell that many associate with meths.  This is not methanol, which would have evaporated, but all the other things that are added to try and stop people drinking it.

      There are several relatively harmless congeners with low boiling points that have strong smells.  Ethyl acetate (which some find quite pleasant, and is used in many foodstuffs) and acetic acid (vinegar - sharp) are just two.  A mixture of just those would give an unpleasantly acrid-sweet smell, and is probably what some distillers think is methanol.

      Mike N

    • Snowblind Moose
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
        As Peter_vcb said - the heads I get smell just like the drinkable
        stuff. I'm not sure what the other folks mean when they say they can
        smell the methanol, unless the concentrations I'm getting are so low
        in actual methanol content that it's undetectable.

        The oposite is true for the "tails" - there is a DEFINITE strong "wet
        cardboard" smell and an "off" taste.

        S.M.

        --- In new_distillers@y..., Still Man <potstillman@y...> wrote:

        > Hi, thanks for the reply, but why then do I read posts from people
        saying that they can smell methanol in their output?
        > peter_vcb <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:smells like drinkable
        ethanol

        > Get a bigger mailbox -- choose a size that fits your needs.
      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002
          if you are brewing just sugar washes you will get no methanol. you
          will get some ethyl acetate at the start though which smells bad (to
          some).

          when people say they smell meths i just presume they mean a smell
          like methylated spirits/nail varnish/turps/white spirit. a sharp
          nasty smell as oppossed to the wet cardboard smell