Acidic Alcohol??

  • Adrian Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hi folks,
      Due to a lack of yeast at the moment, I
      decided to run some MORE old wine through my
      basic reflux still. I used 2 UK Gallons (9
      Litres) of old wine. 1 Gallon was just musty old
      wine and the other Gallon smelt like it was
      vinegar and made you cough a bit if you inhaled
      it. Throwing caution to the wind I chucked it all
      in my boiler with some tails from a previous run
      and started to distill. My problem is that
      through the whole run : methy bit,heads,middle,
      tails, the spirit coming out tasted VERY sharp
      and smelt like vinegar. Previous runs have
      produced a lovely vodka from old wine. I was
      wondering if it was very difficult to seperate
      the element that causes the vinegar smell\taste.
      Any advice appreciated.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com